Weather: Katrina Came Northwest

mkmoondust
Beep! Beep! BEEP! BEEEEEEP! the radio screeched with the emergency weather warnings about Katrina. School was canceled and friends from down south came up to stay with us; they were convinced Shreveport was far enough away to be safe from the storm and its effects. The hallway was crowded with three miniature human forms huddled together surrounded by four larger, fully formed entities using themselves to shield us from anything that may head our way should the wind send something through the windows and past the closed doors around us. Usually things did not get so bad, we were miles from tornado alley and even further from the gulf that so many times sent hurricanes our way, but this time was different and we all knew it. There was a closet in front of me, sitting calmly behind my father, inside it were clear plastic bins filled with food, water bottles, flashlights, things to do, and batteries. Never before had we been put in a situation where we had to utilize any of it.

There was a clock at the front of the battery powered radio that lit up every fifteen minutes, the time was 9:55, almost two hours passed my typical bedtime. Mom was telling stories so we would not be so afraid and her dad was trading off with her whenever her voice seemed to lull itself away with the rest of the chaotic darkness. There was one large comforter from my parent's queen-sized bed underneath of us and three smaller blankets shrouded the three children in the center of the group, our parents and each other acting as pillows as we begged Sleep to come and pull us away from the madness just long enough for it to die down; only she never did arrive.

Rain, that began as a drizzle, threw itself at the roof making noises like a drum only a million times louder, Wind cackled as though it knew more than we could ever in our measly little lifetimes, Night carried on down his path just like any other before time before, it's no wonder we were too fear stricken and pale faced to eat or sleep. Finally, three am came and the radio beeped at us just as forcefully as before. A deep masculine voice informed us that the worst of the storm had passed and houses and cars were safe once again. School was still canceled due to heavy rains scheduled to arrive the following day and places like New Orleans, and Baton Rouge were still in danger.

That night, we slept in the living room, on the floor, as one large, interwoven blanket of flesh and tears afraid of what else may come. The next day we woke to broken trees in the backyard, flooded roads, and more radio news due to a lack of working electricity. Hurricane Katrina was never supposed to impact Shreveport, but she did, and to this day I have no idea why.