Weather: Keep Running

theodorewahle
July sounded like the ideal month to run a 5k. Sun baked the pavement well past 100 degrees. If I stood in one place too long, my shoes would start to melt. The sizzling pavement would turn my soles into magma; my decrepit sneakers would become one with the asphalt. Avoiding the destruction of my Nikes was another great reason to run 5 kilometers.
The clock dragged its hands in a seemingly endless rotation until it reached 11 o’clock. I approached the starting line amongst my fellow competitors. The intensity level of my competitors varied greatly. There was a pack of mothers pushing strollers, and on the other end of the spectrum, there was a collection of lean athletes sporting Boston Marathon jackets. Then, as the gun was fired, I felt it; the first rain drop smacked me in the nose. The synchronization was uncanny. It was as if the skies had finished their race to Earth just as I was starting mine. The rain caught me off guard, but my body jolted forward almost instinctively as the gun was fire. Before I came to my senses, I was behind the pack. The stroller squad was moving briskly ahead of me, and the marathon crew was almost out of sight. I hustled towards the group, but the drizzle had crescendoed into a violent downpour.
The water hissed as it collided with the pavement. The scorching pavement was not used to the cold embrace of the rain, and neither was I. The rain turned my hair into a wet mop. My running attire metamorphosed into a suffocating wetsuit; it was almost as if a heavy second skin had been draped across my back. Regardless, I kept running. The flash flood continued.
By checkpoint two, the water on the road was ankle deep. The sewer grates were so overflowed that they choked on the water and spit it back onto the streets. As I rounded the corner on mile checkpoint three, I could not tell if I was sprinting or doing the backstroke, but the finish line was near. I saw the flashy gear of the marathon crew in the distance. I increased speed. My waterlogged shoes smacked the asphalt like flippers. I made it. A man officiating the race offered me a bottle of water, and I could not help but laugh. “No thanks,” I said. “I’ve had plenty.”

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:10:38 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our runners up.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:10:03 PM

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:39:06 PM