Weather: Among the Lucky Ones

clarksona17
Weather is fickle, ever-changing, even fleeting. Weather is also strong, fierce, and untamed. One morning in the spring of my sixth grade year, I was not feeling strong. The sky was a vast sea of grey, looming dangerously overhead, and I was anxious. As I sat in my seat on the bus, all I was able to hear were weather reports crackling through the radio. The reports were all similar, in the fact that they stated that there was a healthy dose of tornado coming my way. While all of the buses pulled up in front of the school, allowing me as well as the rest of the students to file into it, there was one thing uniting us: fear.
Everything was different. Instead of going to our respective classrooms, we were ushered into the large cafeteria. Putting our practice of the "extreme weather drill" into action, my peers and I huddled on the floor against the walls, chatting nervously. Unlike during our planned drills, students were allowed to talk quietly. To this day my friends and I do not understand the no-talking rule, as one of them sarcastically pointed out that the weather cannot hear us. Still, we listened. We waited, some part of us fearing for our lives.
After close to an hour of uncomfortable safety measures, we were sent to our classes, where we were told to wait. It is from here that we would be released and transported back home. From the tiny windows we could see that the sky had not wavered in its appearance. Later, as my peers and I traveled to our homes, the collective fear from earlier was more subdued. When I was safe in my living room I tried to relax, talking about the day's events with my older sister.
Nothing ever came of the tornado warning, the cone-shaped cloud stayed just that as it passed us by. Looking back I realize now more than ever that my family and I are very fortunate. Blinded by emotions then, now I can see that I am one of the lucky ones. Although my experience with extreme weather does not come close to the severity of others, it still provided me with something to think about. I will never forget that weather is strong, ever-changing, forever untamed.