Weather: Takes Your Breath Away

Nuha
The fresh snow blanketed every inch of the ground and highlighting the branches on the trees. Looking out the bay window from our warm and cozy home it looked so peaceful and calm. However, unbeknownst to us, this surreptitious snow was about to wreak havoc.
“Oh she is wheezing too much”, the nurse said as she rushed my grandmother to a room in the emergency department at the hospital and quickly placed an oxygen mask on her face. Within minutes a doctor and other personnel appeared. X-rays were taken, blood was drawn, and questions were asked. “Does your mother have a living will? Did she ever say if she would like to be on life support? Would you like to sign a DNR?” “What?” My mother asked. “I brought my mother in here for treatment”, my mother replied.
The oxygen level kept on fluctuating every day just like the temperature outside. We were praying for one good day; one day when the temperature reached above freezing and one day when my grandmother’s oxygen level remained steady. The days turned into weeks. The snow kept falling, no sign of melting. The oxygen level kept rising and falling. The governor declared a state of emergency. My grandmother’s health was in a dire state. Weeks passed.
The doctors announced my grandmother was ready to be released. The governor proclaimed another day of state of emergency. The snow started falling again. Looking outside the stark, cold, and bare hospital windows the brown slushy snow was now concealed by fresh white snow. The worn out land glistened again, a rebirth. My grandmother rode the storm out anxious for it to pass, anticipating her homecoming.
The next day the ambulance slid down our icy street, unable to come into our plowed in driveway. They lifted the stretcher and carried her across the driveway, making it on the porch, and finally into the house. She was brought up to her room. Her oxygen was at 95%. The next few weeks, nurses came and went, an aid helped her bathe, and a physical therapist assisted her with exercises.
As the temperature fluctuated outside so did my grandmother’s health; some days were good bringing hope and some days were bad. The last big storm of the season arrived on Thursday. The nurse came and checked my grandmother’s oxygen. She frantically called her doctors to no avail; leaving her no choice but to recommend returning to the emergency room. My mother promised to cautiously look after her over the weekend and if things did not improve then she would bring her in. The nurse increased the oxygen level and left.
The weekend passed, as the temperatures rose the snow started melting, and my grandmother’s oxygen was at 95%. In a couple of weeks spring would make its debut, the tulips and the mint will sprout, and the birds will find their way back. My grandmother will sit outside like usual and take in a breath of fresh air.