STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: School of Fright

pennyproblem
Whirling winds, wailing sirens, and mass destruction; a tornado can be quite frightening, especially for a ten year old in a crowded classroom. My hometown gained it's nickname, Tornado Alley, when a tornado tore down the local high school. About ten years after the tragic incident, another was brewing.
I was sitting in math class waiting for the monotonous lesson to draw to a close, when a wailing noise sounded. A look of fear spread across the faces' of my classmates; a tornado was coming. Our teacher herded us to the back of the classroom where we had to take cover. I will never forget the sheer terror on the face of my dear friend as she prayed to God to spare her life. It was in that moment I realized it wasn't a drill, I could very well be dead by morning. All around you could hear a chorus of sniffles as tears were swelling. The worst part of it all, there was no panic, only sorrow as we accepted our fate.
Two hours later, we were still scrunched up on the floor, the building around us screeching, threatening to crush us all. The teacher had long since given up on consoling us, in fact it looked as if she herself needed consoling. Tears were let loose as the tornado neared, time dragging on in a crescendo. Goodbyes could be heard, whispered between sobs and whimpers; we were a pitiful sight.
Slowly, the sky started to brighten and the screeching came to an end. We had survived the horrendous ordeal with all limbs intact. Relief washed over the faces of my classmates as we all rejoiced at the miracle we had been given. All in all, it was a humbling experience.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy