Weather: School of Fright

pennyproblem
Whirling winds, wailing sirens, and mass destruction; a tornado can be quite frightening, especially for a ten year old in a crowded classroom. My hometown gained it's nickname, Tornado Alley, when a tornado tore down the local high school. About ten years after the tragic incident, another was brewing.
I was sitting in math class waiting for the monotonous lesson to draw to a close, when a wailing noise sounded. A look of fear spread across the faces' of my classmates; a tornado was coming. Our teacher herded us to the back of the classroom where we had to take cover. I will never forget the sheer terror on the face of my dear friend as she prayed to God to spare her life. It was in that moment I realized it wasn't a drill, I could very well be dead by morning. All around you could hear a chorus of sniffles as tears were swelling. The worst part of it all, there was no panic, only sorrow as we accepted our fate.
Two hours later, we were still scrunched up on the floor, the building around us screeching, threatening to crush us all. The teacher had long since given up on consoling us, in fact it looked as if she herself needed consoling. Tears were let loose as the tornado neared, time dragging on in a crescendo. Goodbyes could be heard, whispered between sobs and whimpers; we were a pitiful sight.
Slowly, the sky started to brighten and the screeching came to an end. We had survived the horrendous ordeal with all limbs intact. Relief washed over the faces of my classmates as we all rejoiced at the miracle we had been given. All in all, it was a humbling experience.