STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: My Best Friend with Multiple Personalities

rberris
The weather. It can change everything within a split second. At one moment your plan is to go outside and go for a run. Next thing you know you’re stuck in the beginnings of a tornado. Your heart begins to crawl up out of your chest into your sleeve. The forecast did not call for a sudden eclipse of funnel clouds to form together. Partly cloudy was the forecast. No worries, it’s just weather.
Do I believe in climate change? It’s a simple yes. The weather has been going from one extreme to the other. In New York, and in most other parts of the North East, a record amount of snow fell this winter. Two days ago it was near sixty degrees. Last night we had another 7 inch snowstorm. I called my grandma in Florida, and she told me normally around this time of year it can range anywhere form the high seventies to the low eighties. Today it was ninety-one degrees outside.
I think that the weather is somewhat like a best friend. During the summer it provides me with the most amazing weather when I go to the beach, or when I am on some random paradise island. In the winter it creates the most magical snowy landscapes a person could imagine. During the spring flowers bloom, and the rains wash away the remaining cold. The fall is like being in a dream. Any single picture taken has a special quality to it. The leaves are everywhere, but they make a good mess. However, best friends can become our enemies for a quick second. An insane amount of snow can fall leaving people dead and others injured. A hurricane may even come ashore causing a person to lose everything within the amount of time it takes me to say the word everything.
Thinking back to the year 2013, one of the most memorable moments of that year was Hurricane Sandy. The northeast was flipped upside down, and spun around just a few times. No power for almost 2 weeks, nothing but old bread to eat, and countless hours of freezing since we had no heat. Friends and neighbors lost everything they had. A tree outside my house fell and crashed into the front landscape area. Thank god. If it fell the other way, my room would have become a jungle. Who knows if I would be here today?
The weather. It seems like such a small part of our daily lives. Until a person looks around to find that it can cause a sudden “fatal accident.” I feel that as a society we are not exposed enough to the effects of climate change. Who knows what the future of climate change holds. However, for what it’s worth, I think that Mother Nature is sending her warning.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy