Weather: My Best Friend with Multiple Personalities

rberris
The weather. It can change everything within a split second. At one moment your plan is to go outside and go for a run. Next thing you know you’re stuck in the beginnings of a tornado. Your heart begins to crawl up out of your chest into your sleeve. The forecast did not call for a sudden eclipse of funnel clouds to form together. Partly cloudy was the forecast. No worries, it’s just weather.
Do I believe in climate change? It’s a simple yes. The weather has been going from one extreme to the other. In New York, and in most other parts of the North East, a record amount of snow fell this winter. Two days ago it was near sixty degrees. Last night we had another 7 inch snowstorm. I called my grandma in Florida, and she told me normally around this time of year it can range anywhere form the high seventies to the low eighties. Today it was ninety-one degrees outside.
I think that the weather is somewhat like a best friend. During the summer it provides me with the most amazing weather when I go to the beach, or when I am on some random paradise island. In the winter it creates the most magical snowy landscapes a person could imagine. During the spring flowers bloom, and the rains wash away the remaining cold. The fall is like being in a dream. Any single picture taken has a special quality to it. The leaves are everywhere, but they make a good mess. However, best friends can become our enemies for a quick second. An insane amount of snow can fall leaving people dead and others injured. A hurricane may even come ashore causing a person to lose everything within the amount of time it takes me to say the word everything.
Thinking back to the year 2013, one of the most memorable moments of that year was Hurricane Sandy. The northeast was flipped upside down, and spun around just a few times. No power for almost 2 weeks, nothing but old bread to eat, and countless hours of freezing since we had no heat. Friends and neighbors lost everything they had. A tree outside my house fell and crashed into the front landscape area. Thank god. If it fell the other way, my room would have become a jungle. Who knows if I would be here today?
The weather. It seems like such a small part of our daily lives. Until a person looks around to find that it can cause a sudden “fatal accident.” I feel that as a society we are not exposed enough to the effects of climate change. Who knows what the future of climate change holds. However, for what it’s worth, I think that Mother Nature is sending her warning.