Weather: Raindrops on my Earthworm Diagram

geetika98
Dark looming clouds, loud and frightening thunder, blinding lightening and above all a gloomy atmosphere – this was my attitude towards a thunderstorm. But one day, it all changed…

“Geethika! What are you looking around at? Look into your text book!” bellowed the junior lecture. I sighed for the umpteenth time that day, and it was just still afternoon. My classmates donned the same expression as me – one of frustration and determination.

We were all eleventh grade biology students, or as they say here in India, Junior Intermediate Students. I was studying my eleventh and twelfth grade in a hostel where our college was just a cardboard shaped building – we had no games, no extracurricular activities - nothing whatsoever. Our motto was “EAT, SLEEP, STUDY.” Don’t get me wrong – I loved studying, but I hated it when people tell me what to study and when to study, which is exactly what happens at my college. We never see sunlight, only tube light.

That afternoon was especially bad. It was hot, sultry, and we were all practically drenched in sweat. But of course, we still had to study how the digestive system of the earthworm worked. How wonderful! That was when we saw the first lighting bolts and heard the rumbling thunder. Soon we heard the soft pattering of the first few raindrops on window sill. I slowly stood up and made my way over to the opening in the wall and leaned out, the wind blowing in my tangled hair.

“Geethika! Get back to your seat. You still haven’t finished studying that zoology chapter,” ordered the lecturer. I pivoted back with a pout.

“Please! Can we go out? We are all just so tired. Just today, please?” I pleaded. All my classmates chorused after me.

She sighed and finally gave in as if she were donating her entire family’s property to us. But never mind all that. All of shuffled to our feet and there was no stopping us now. We crowded on the streets, splashing water on each other and just laughing, and after such a long time, we were actually enjoying ourselves. The raindrops beat down on us, and under different circumstances, I would have taken cover under a roof, but today was different. I was finally enjoying with all my friends, not studying and just letting go.

Who knew that raindrops on my earthworm diagram would give me so much satisfaction?