Weather: Raindrops, Sun Rays, Snow Dreams

aiambia
It's been raining lately. Water pours down from the sky not in blankets, but like a gentle shower. I can smell it in the air when the rain approaches and I wonder who the sky is crying for. Has someone lost? Has someone loved? Maybe it's crying for me. Maybe the sky knows my heart better than I do. Maybe it knows that I won't cry; I have no reason to, but that doesn't stop the tears from filling up my heart. The weather may be muggy and damp and dank and messy, but it says everything that I can't, and a million words more.

I never loved the summer sun. It's always too hot, too bright, too intense. But sometimes I wonder what I miss out on while I sit indoors, in the air conditioning and shade. I wonder what adventures I could've had, and what games I could've played if I wasn't so afraid to touch the sun's rays. I could've been out at sea instead of in front of a fan, or exploring the downtown jungle instead of the corners of the internet. I've never loved the summer sun, and I never let myself love it, because I knew that one day I'd have to leave it, maybe forever, so it's best not to get attached.

What's it like to play in the snow? I've never known and I may never know. Where I come from, it never snows...not anymore. Well, it did once, when I was in sixth grade. I rushed outside to see a blanket of white covering the neighborhood. Dressed in my pajamas and a bathrobe, I took pictures of everything I could, trying to preserve the memory. By noon, it was all gone. The sun melted it away until the snow was nothing more than muddy slush. It was a cold and harsh beauty; an unforgiving dream. I walked into the house with memories of something beautiful at the cost of frozen fingers and toes.

When the rain falls from the sky, I'd love to go dancing in the streets, but if you asked me if I'd like to go for a walk in the sun, I'd most definitely prefer to stay in. And those dreams of a winter wonderland, making snowmen and angels? I suppose they'll stay just that: dreams. I'll let the rain be my tears. I'll let it wash away every worry, every fear, nightmare, and when my heart is slowly breaking, it'll keep me company as I cry with it. The sun burns with memories that I'm too scared to lose. With every passing summer, I know I'll have to leave home soon, but I don't want to go. Maybe it's better if I don't remember this sun. I used to dream about playing in the snow, until I learned how much it can hurt and how quickly it goes away. It always appears in my dreams: something beautiful, gone in an instant, but is it worth the pain?