Weather: Making The Best Of A Bad Situation

PotatoB
My story begins two years ago, 2013, In Sunny San Diego, California. My family and I, ironically, happened to be snow board enthusiasts, and for the past 4 winter seasons have been taking trips to the plentiful California mountain ranges. This trip started no different then no other. We start packing meticulously a day before, getting gear, clothes, food, and boards prepared for the upcoming day. Me, my Sister, and my Dad all packed into our car very early in the morning, the sky was still dark kind of early in the morning, and we were off. Once the car gets going that train has no stops. We eat once, we have one bathroom brake and were done. While driving up we noticed It had started to snow further up the mountain. We figured it would be fine, but put on some tire chains just to be safe. after another hour or so the snow began to hit hard. The flurry was so thick we could barely see the road in front of us. We continued to trek through the blanket of white, only stoping for the occasionally yellow light coming from the stoplights of a small town at the middle of the mountain. At this point we were only 30 minutes from our cabin. Visibility was getting no clearer as we approached the village. We finally made it to our cabin after a incredibly last half of a trip. Just walking to the door was a challenge as the snow was plummeting down on top of us. When we made it inside we tried to call a native friend only to find out we were one of the last few people out on the mountain, everyone had cleared out or packed in for the storm. With the snow not letting up we decided to pack it in for the night and light a fire. Luckily our cabin had an indoor jacuzzi would provided some much needed relaxation. The fire roared for hours before we hit the sack hoping for a better day. Eight hours later we all got up only to find the storm still going strong. Another day of rest as we awaited for the all clear signal on the roads. We left Friday morning, it was now Sunday morning. We got up that ready to roll, the lifts were open and the snow was as fresh as could be. Still slightly disappointed we missed out on the days before we wanted to make the most of this one. We funneled into the car with snow pants on ready to ride. The snow that day turned out being better then any trip since. And although we missed the other two days we were able to grow closer together. Over all we took the bad weather and made the most of it with an awesome weekend. (477)