Weather: January Blues

witemil18
It is early February. On a frigid, dark Monday morning, I lay in bed, my head pounding. I pull myself out of my bed, and trudge to my parent’s room. I wake them up, and explain how I feel. They tell me to go back to sleep, and that they’ll take me to the doctor’s later.
This particular morning sticks in my mind so well. At the doctor’s, I was told that I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is a common diagnosis. I become more depressed in the winter. Large mood swings, constant tiredness, both a part of my winters. All because the sun won’t shine. Or, it’s too cold to go out and enjoy. Everyone feels winter’s weight, but some are crushed be the weight.
Then the fog lifts in spring, as snow fall turns to rain fall, brown grass to green shoots. There is a ray of hope that comes with the rays of sunlight. In the Midwest, shorts and t-shirts are donned at 50 degrees. The mood swings are less dramatic, and energy returns. Passion and new beginnings are in the air. School is a bit easier, and Spring Break’s in sight. The air warms, and we let ourselves outside, enjoy the warmth, and let ourselves be happy.