Weather: The Swing Set Days

SamanthaChristine
The sun's warmth shined down on my upturned face as the wind blew through my tangled hair. I squinted my eyes as I looked up at the clear blue sky before gravity pulled me back down again.

Swinging on the swing set was always a favorite pastime of mine as a young girl, simple but satisfying. Whenever I am asked what one memory I have of elementary school, my mind flashes back to the old metal swing set I would occupy during recess. I loved the feeling of flying, and if you closed your eyes tight enough, you just might believe you actually were. In those days, the sun was always shining in my mind. It not only made one day memorable, but an entire period of my life. In reality, the gray days just didn’t have an impact as much as the brighter ones did.

Now, in high school, things can get rough sometimes. During these times is when I miss the innocence of the swing set days. I look at my younger brother, who now goes to my old elementary school, and envy the simplicity of his life.

One afternoon my mom wanted me to walk him to the playground to play. We kicked around a ball, and I watched him go down the slide more times than I could count. As we were leaving I noticed my old friend in the corner of my eye. I told my brother to wait, and led him to the swing set. I climbed on, and he sat in the one next to me. I showed him how to kick your legs back and forth, to go higher and higher. I watched him laugh and challenge me on who could go the highest. I looked into the sky, the sun now setting behind a cloud, as I passed on my childhood friend to my brother.