Weather: White on Blue

Yalie Dacia
I hit the snooze button on my alarm 5 times before I realized that I’d be late; so that meant a granola bar and bottled water for breakfast, not very satisfying. I had the quickest morning routine process ever. Now here I am 30 minutes later running out the big red door with one converse on, and my canvas tote in the one hand. Reaching the train stop, gasping for air I realized that I left my I.D. and metro-card at home. Sitting on my blue dresser, I imagine these two white cards standing out as if they didn’t belong. I guess my mind wasn’t on it because it’s really hard to miss. It was wayyy too late to turn back so I had to buy a new one. Six whole dollars spent on a new metro-card!!! There goes my lunch money down the drain. The train eventually pulled up to the dirty platform. As the train doors closed I finally noticed that I left my tote on the same dirty platform. A loud groan and long string of words that shouldn’t be repeated escaped my lips in deep despair. Looking up I took into account that mothers and old citizens glared at me, as if I was the most vile thing to ever walk the Earth, whereas teens and young adults stared at me as if I was the funniest person ever. Everyone’s attention was now on me. All I could do was smile sheepishly, wishing I had dimples to pull off an innocent look. On the next stop I switched trains to go home. That took 15 minutes way too long just for a ten-minute ride. Strolling home, I figured that my day couldn’t get much worse. Boy oh boy was I wrong. Halfway home the heavens split and took an excruciatingly long piss on Earth drenching and chilling me to the bone. I stared up at the sky and let out a strained cry. I couldn’t take any more. Half- running half-dragging my feet I eventually got home. Changing out of my wet clothes I put on something comfy, like sweats and a t-shirt. Throwing back into my purple couch, I switch on the television to find out that all Brooklyn and Queens schools we’re closed due to Brooklyn-Queens day. I screamed so loud I could’ve sworn I saw the window crack a little, heard cars coming to an abrupt stop or it could’ve all been my imagination.