Weather: 4 Effects of Rain

KianaHamilton
Mood – I love waking up and hearing rain beat against my awning, knowing I have to go out there an hour from that moment. I enjoy it especially at night. The rain drops on the awning above my window and makes this lovely sound. It rains the most in spring, which is my favorite season. Because it’s spring and the weather is beginning to warm up, I open my window for breeze. The rain also has this wondrous scent. It smells fresh and I can feel moisture in the wind when it blows inside my room. The second I hear, see or smell rain, I’m instantly happy.
Disasters – In October 2012, hurricane Sandy hit New York City. That was a disastrous time of year. My dad lives in Canarsie. As we all know, Canarsie is below sea level. Because of the rain, it flooded the streets and people’s homes. My dad’s basement had at least five feet of water in it and so did his garage. His car tire had a flat and he left it in there. So his car got flooded also. Then at my house, the power went out for about 12 hours. That day my cousins came to visit. We were all talking and relaxing on the couch when suddenly the power went out. We used the generator to power a light but then that died after a half an hour of usage. We could not open the refrigerator and had to drink water from the faucet for the remaining time.
Benefits – Don’t get me wrong, rain isn’t always a harmful situation. Rain waters the plants so that we don’t have to use our own water that needs to be paid for. Instead of my mom taking her car to the car wash, we can wash it. Rain also cleans the streets and washes away the debris. It will run off all garbage into the sewer. When it snows and leaves piles that people have shoveled up, the rain melts it out. The same for ice that will not thaw. The rain helps me sleep sounder. I get the best nights’ sleep when it rains. I wake up in the morning fresh and ready for anything.
Day Out – Because I adore the rain, I would gladly go out in it. I could do plenty when it’s raining, with no issue. I love water all together, besides drinking it. When my mom or aunt sees rain in the forecast, the first thought that comes to mind is staying inside and getting house work done. Or maybe they would get upset because they had plans for the day and it’s ruined by the rain. Whatever agenda they had for the day I would do, just for the pleasure of being in the rain. I would walk in the rain for hours just because I love the beat it makes and the smell it carries in the air.