Weather: Early That Morning

star10grade
It was an early breezy morning. I was barely awake, maybe even dreaming. My father rolled over in the bed with his eyes and ears wide open. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! BOOM! BOOM!
My dad got everyone up in a panic. I couldn’t completely understand what was going on. I was only old enough to get up and pour a sloppy bowl of cereal, and turn on the TV on the blissful spring mornings. While my mom was grabbing the irreplaceable necessities, we made our way out the house as quick as possible. But boy when we got in the hallway, did things get a little bit realer. The smoky stairway was not a pretty sight at all. You could hear how desperately the super was trying to alert everyone in the building as he ran up and down the stairs banging on doors. Once we stepped out the front door the breath of fresh air was wonderful.
The smoke filled the bright blue sky, but the tainted O2 was indeed a relief. As the fire trucks approached their loud blares filled the air. I couldn’t believe how such a delightful day turned so horrible before it even started. It was only until then that I realized that it was our next door neighbor, whose’ apartment was ablaze. The brave fire fighters began to put out the fire, and did so in a matter of minutes. It was kind of scary as many people began to assemble and take in the atrocity. I began to wonder what would’ve happened if that good man hadn’t worried about the lives of others. As this outlandish movie scene played out in my mind, the tenant of the blazing apartment was walking down the block. She was in shock as she took in what couldn’t possibly be real. As the firefighters and police finished up their jobs we made our back inside. As we walked back into the house nothing changed, but yet everything felt different.
My beautiful spring morning which was so abruptly commenced was one that I would surely remember.