STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: Praying my roof doesn't blow off

CloeRI
I remember sitting on my couch watching the weather with my dad. Well, he was watching. I was listening while working on a needlepoint project. My ears perked up when I heard the words “...Hurricane Sandy is turning towards southern Rhode Island,” leave the weather ladies mouth. I didn't know a hurricane was coming, and I’d never really been through one. My dad looked at me and smiled, slapping his old work hat on his head.
“Looks like a storm’s coming!” he said cheerfully. Then he got up and walked away. ‘A hurricane?’ I thought to myself. ‘That can’t be right. Hurricanes don’t come to Rhode Island. Nothing exciting ever happens in Rhode Island!’ But, true to my dad and the weather ladies word, Hurricane Sandy was coming, and I was going to experience my first hurricane.
My dad, my step mom, my two stepbrothers, my stepsister and I, spent the next day clearing the deck of any and all pool toys, and strapping the iron frame of our tent for the deck table down to the actual deck. I felt nervous all day as the wind picked up and whipped my hair around. Finally, as the storm clouds rolled in and the wind began to shriek, my dad sent everyone inside. I situated myself on the couch and pulled out my Gameboy, hoping to distract myself from the shrieking wind.
Eventually, my dad went out and picked up my stepmom’s mother, Mary, so she could stay with us during the storm. She camped out on the couch with me, playing on her laptop. It wasn't until around three in the afternoon that the power went out. Sandy was here, and she was making hell for everyone.
Every blast of wind, every whip of a tree, every moment that Sandy spent crying and wailing, I prayed my roof didn’t blow off. My dad eventually came and sat with me, reading glasses on and book in hand.
“I know you’re nervous, kiddo, but there’s nothing to be afraid of,” he told me. I managed to give him a small smile.
“I know, but I can’t help but feel like the roof is going to blow off,” I explained. He laughed and shook his head.
“Don’t worry kid. Your dad made sure the roof is tight. It’s not going anywhere.” I smiled back and was able to relax.
Despite Hurricane Sandy being a destructive disaster, I felt the storm helped my family get together. We ate by candlelight, and laughed at the most ridiculous things. We had to switch bathrooms, because we didn't have any water. Later, we listened to the radio together, and my sister shouted “TURN IT OFF! THIS IS TORTURE!” when Ellie Goulding’s “Lights” came on. I had to get dressed by lamplight, and the wind was still howling when I went to bed. But when I woke up the next morning, Sandy was gone. And I was left with memories that make me smile even today.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy