Weather: Praying my roof doesn't blow off

CloeRI
I remember sitting on my couch watching the weather with my dad. Well, he was watching. I was listening while working on a needlepoint project. My ears perked up when I heard the words “...Hurricane Sandy is turning towards southern Rhode Island,” leave the weather ladies mouth. I didn't know a hurricane was coming, and I’d never really been through one. My dad looked at me and smiled, slapping his old work hat on his head.
“Looks like a storm’s coming!” he said cheerfully. Then he got up and walked away. ‘A hurricane?’ I thought to myself. ‘That can’t be right. Hurricanes don’t come to Rhode Island. Nothing exciting ever happens in Rhode Island!’ But, true to my dad and the weather ladies word, Hurricane Sandy was coming, and I was going to experience my first hurricane.
My dad, my step mom, my two stepbrothers, my stepsister and I, spent the next day clearing the deck of any and all pool toys, and strapping the iron frame of our tent for the deck table down to the actual deck. I felt nervous all day as the wind picked up and whipped my hair around. Finally, as the storm clouds rolled in and the wind began to shriek, my dad sent everyone inside. I situated myself on the couch and pulled out my Gameboy, hoping to distract myself from the shrieking wind.
Eventually, my dad went out and picked up my stepmom’s mother, Mary, so she could stay with us during the storm. She camped out on the couch with me, playing on her laptop. It wasn't until around three in the afternoon that the power went out. Sandy was here, and she was making hell for everyone.
Every blast of wind, every whip of a tree, every moment that Sandy spent crying and wailing, I prayed my roof didn’t blow off. My dad eventually came and sat with me, reading glasses on and book in hand.
“I know you’re nervous, kiddo, but there’s nothing to be afraid of,” he told me. I managed to give him a small smile.
“I know, but I can’t help but feel like the roof is going to blow off,” I explained. He laughed and shook his head.
“Don’t worry kid. Your dad made sure the roof is tight. It’s not going anywhere.” I smiled back and was able to relax.
Despite Hurricane Sandy being a destructive disaster, I felt the storm helped my family get together. We ate by candlelight, and laughed at the most ridiculous things. We had to switch bathrooms, because we didn't have any water. Later, we listened to the radio together, and my sister shouted “TURN IT OFF! THIS IS TORTURE!” when Ellie Goulding’s “Lights” came on. I had to get dressed by lamplight, and the wind was still howling when I went to bed. But when I woke up the next morning, Sandy was gone. And I was left with memories that make me smile even today.