Weather: The Single Bird Chirp

B.Epp
I feel blessed every single time I hear a bird chirp. Funny, how such an insignificant thing can make me stop, wait, and hope to hear it again, just once more.
This is because I spend the majority of my days and hours inside a school, with sparse windows, artificial air-conditioning, and multitudes of high-schoolers dragging their feet in the monotonous cycle of their schedule to dull classrooms with droning videos. But out of all the moaning and groaning, shuffling, and lights blinking, I feel blessed when I hear that one chirp.
Weather is the uncontrollable schedule of our life whether we recognize it or not. Everything in our life is connected to the weather, from going to the beach and vacations, to planning our activities around rain or snow. The temperature unreservedly varies cultures from the Bahamas to the rugged lifestyle of the mountains.
My life has been a peculiar one, because I’ve experienced the best of both extremes, the beach and the Rocky Mountains. I grew up in Colorado, but I now live 30 minutes from the beach of Gulf Shores. Most people take this for granted, but the value in each of these landscapes is so impeccably treasured by only a slight handful.
By no means am I a fanatic about saving animals or the oceans, but I do see the value in a single bird chirp, and that little sound can change my entire mood. Weather controls these landscapes, weather has seen my greatest days of being able to snowboard down a powder-coated mountain with the sun sparkling, to watching my mother break down in tears as we had no hope of being able to drive alone throughout a relentless blizzard beating down on our car, with no road or buildings in sight for miles, just me and my brother praying in the back seat for a sign of hope.
Mother Nature will always control our schedules, moods, lives, and simple things we take for granted, such as birds. I can always remember sitting on the back-porch with my dad as he called out bird species that called while the sun shined down. But then I remember worse times, times when hurricanes struck New Orleans, tornados destroyed hundreds of homes in my state, and the stories of my teachers telling me of a student being sucked out of the roof by a tornado, while I was sitting there in my desk, protected by the flimsy roof.
There’s a saying most people know, when it rains, sometimes you just have to dance in the rain. If we can dance in the rain, then we can learn to respect the rain that grows our food, we can respect the sun that allows the animals to come out to lead their babies around, we can respect the snow that showers the pine trees with twinkling lights, and we can respect the single bird chirp caused from a sunny day, just one day of our lives.