Weather: Mr. Winter's Reign

Lanilynn99
I look out my window through the drizzling rain running races down the glass and see that the trees are no longer flush with green leaves and foliage, but are thin and wither with each gust of wind the breeze carries through this Oklahoma town. Everything is dead. From the vibrant abundance of flowers that grew only a few short months ago, to the insects and bugs that can’t withstand the bitterness of Winter. Summer now seems like a distant dream and the hot sand that once covered my painted pink toenails is nothing but a memory from brighter days.

My happiness and bright outlook seems to have also died with the flowers and insects. It’s difficult to maintain a sunny state of mind when the world you see is no longer sunny. It’s as if the rays of light that bloomed from the Sun is what fed my soul with brightness and personality. Now that the sun has shrunken behind storm clouds and rainfall, so has my soul hidden it’s brighter side from the world.

Perhaps my own perceptions have been discolored due to the frigidness in the air, but the people of my small town seem to have followed my suit. Gloominess fills our days with dull and unexciting colors. Gray and black wash over people, places, and things like a rolling wave of the ocean. Oklahoma is known for it’s tornados, but all we see these days are floods of bleakness. The world outside is shaded, dark, and unpleasant. No one smiles or enjoys the weather. Rather we complain about the forecast of rain and snow sure to be headed our way.

I suppose it’s our own fault that we allow our outlooks to be so distorted by the undesirable weather. However, Mr. Winter doesn’t make himself easy to love. He cancels our plans, chills our bones, and causes problems that could have otherwise been avoided. No wonder he isn’t well liked. The truth is I’m far more partial so Miss Summer. She has a warmth to her that is so bright it seems as though everything she touches is tinged with a golden glow. Perhaps she’s King Midas in disguise?

Winter and Summer are two worlds apart. Sadly, they intertwine with one another within the span of just a few months. One ends, another begins. Over and over the cycle continues; Summer, Winter, beauty, beast, glory, pain. Never-ending and unchanging it holds steady despite my constant dread of Winter’s arrival. Treacherous and brutal it enforces itself upon us, inconsiderate of the emotional depression it causes to this sun loving Oklahoma girl.