STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I'm Thankful He Lived

M.J.
So, who is he? Is this person's story I'm reading trying to tell me about Jesus, or Mohammad, or David? Are they religious and trying to spread the good word? The answer is no. I am thankful that he lived. That Will, my oldest and dearest friend lived. The person I can visualise myself laughing with for the rest of my life. The person who will never let me down. My loyal friend, Will.

Will and I have been next door neighbours since before we were born. It was pure luck that we were born exactly 1 month, 17 days, and 14 hours apart. This blessing meant that we could grow up together. Every memory of my early childhood was spent with Will. I remember running with him in our backyard. Riding horses down to Tronah Lake and jumping off the cliffs there hand in hand.

Will is the person who's shoulder I cry on. Who's voice comforts me when I'm sad. Who stood by my side while they stitched up my arm after I fell off the ski lift, and didn't even care that I was getting blood all over his favourite shirt. He's the one I went to when I first got my period, and even though he didn't even know what I was talking about he sat, listened and comforted me.

I thought Will and I would go on living as brother and sister forever. But forever is never long enough. We were together when it happened. We were down at the river and it was just after christmas. I was wearing my new bikini and we were building a jetty so that we could dive in. I was hammering in a nail and turned back to ask him to throw me another. He was on the ground. White. Lifeless. Still.

All of my first aid skills went out the window. I screamed. I ran to him. I curled over him. He wasn't breathing. I grabbed my shorts and pulled them apart reaching for the phone. I dialled the ambulance. I love living in the country, but at that moment I would have traded everything - my entire life - to have lived in a place where i knew the ambulance would arrive in time.

My first aid kicked in. I rolled him over. Head back, pistol grip, breathe. compress. breathe. compress. They say that CPR is tiring, but i felt no pain in limbs, only my heart. I heard the sirens and started yelling. They ran down to me and pushed me out of the way. I followed him to the ambulance and was allowed to hop in the back.

Our parents had left us alone for the weekend. They had trusted us to take care of each other. But, there I was, a 15 year old sitting on a hospital floor in a wet bikini; alone. They asked me a bunch of questions but most of the answers I didn't know. When they found out our parents were bush-walking out of cellphone range they appointed a senior doctor to make decisions on his behalf.

At first they wouldn't tell me anything. I stupidly kept thinking, 'no news is good news' I prayed he'd just fainted but I knew better. He meant more to me then my own life. I could feel his life presence. I knew it was slipping away.

I must have passed out from exhaustion because the next thing I remember I kind nurse was washing my face down. It had been a few hours, they'd thought I should rest. They had also decided that it was time to tell me what was going on. They tried to break it to me nicely, but some things can only come out in one way. Cerebral Haemorrhage; induced coma; life support; not likely to make it through the night. Not likely to be there for me. Likely to pass away. Not likely to be alive. I fainted.

I sat by his side for a week. Some days I thought he would wake up again, that this would be the day. Some days he looked so pale that I thought he was already dead. But no matter what I said, the doctor just kept saying there was no change. When our parents came back they joined me. They tried to take me away, but I refused. He'd never leave me, and I wouldn't leave him now.

I don't know what woke me up. Maybe I felt the change as his life force re-entered his body. What made me wake up isn't important though. It's not even important that I woke up. What's important is that he woke up. He my friend, brother, mate, woke up and smiled at me.

He was alive. We were alive. We were there together and that is all that matters. That is all that will ever matter to me now. I have never been more thankful for anything in my entire life. He is my life. As long as he is alive I am alive. And, he lived!
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

Wow, that is an awesome story! :)
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:42:46 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy