STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: Rain, Rain, Don't Go Away

adree
While most people condemn rain as gloomy and inconvenient, to me, rain composes an elegant and breathtaking medley. The first rain storm I recall was when I was four years old. I was exploiting the warm sun and playing outside with my family when the overture of water droplets began. Moving into the first symphony, there was a wild clamor to return to the dry, warm sanctuary of our house. However, I remained, fixated on the sky and the rhythmic fall of rain. The endless streams of water captivated my attention and I abandoned any efforts to stay dry. My parents, hesitant to leave me alone in the yard, allowed me to play just outside the door. I danced to the beat of water drumming on the gutters. I danced directly under the runoff from the roof, which left me smelling like old shingles, but every bit of filth was worth it.

In elementary school, I retained the same disregard for practical discomfort in the rain: the wet hair, the soaking shoes, and the cold dampness of clothes clinging to skin. These sensations instead represented something comforting to me. As the kids and their high pitched shrieks were herded from the field when it started to rain, I had to practically be dragged inside because I felt no compulsion or obligation to retreat to the school. I see something magical in the rain. Looking out the car window amid a melodic rain storm, the rain revealed an awe-inspiring composition to me. As each rain drop collided with the silvery pavement, the form of a translucent butterfly appeared, but only for a moment. A single splash. So enraptured by this fleeting image, I tried the best that a fourth grader could to put this elusive manifestation of beauty into words, but no words ever quite seemed right. I didn't mind it though. It was enough to just sit there mesmerized by the grace elicited from the already exquisite concert.

Strange as it may seem, I developed a complex appreciation of the water cycle, another arrangement with no true ending or beginning so perfectly orchestrated into necessary refrains. It fascinates me how the same water has been on earth since nearly the beginning of time retracing its steps time and time again. Something that eternal and ethereal compares to the same tenuous balance between life and death that will play until the end of time. People should not view rain as an abrupt ending of a sunny day’s waltz, but as a refreshing score of tranquil notes.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy