Weather: Rain, Rain, Don't Go Away

adree
While most people condemn rain as gloomy and inconvenient, to me, rain composes an elegant and breathtaking medley. The first rain storm I recall was when I was four years old. I was exploiting the warm sun and playing outside with my family when the overture of water droplets began. Moving into the first symphony, there was a wild clamor to return to the dry, warm sanctuary of our house. However, I remained, fixated on the sky and the rhythmic fall of rain. The endless streams of water captivated my attention and I abandoned any efforts to stay dry. My parents, hesitant to leave me alone in the yard, allowed me to play just outside the door. I danced to the beat of water drumming on the gutters. I danced directly under the runoff from the roof, which left me smelling like old shingles, but every bit of filth was worth it.

In elementary school, I retained the same disregard for practical discomfort in the rain: the wet hair, the soaking shoes, and the cold dampness of clothes clinging to skin. These sensations instead represented something comforting to me. As the kids and their high pitched shrieks were herded from the field when it started to rain, I had to practically be dragged inside because I felt no compulsion or obligation to retreat to the school. I see something magical in the rain. Looking out the car window amid a melodic rain storm, the rain revealed an awe-inspiring composition to me. As each rain drop collided with the silvery pavement, the form of a translucent butterfly appeared, but only for a moment. A single splash. So enraptured by this fleeting image, I tried the best that a fourth grader could to put this elusive manifestation of beauty into words, but no words ever quite seemed right. I didn't mind it though. It was enough to just sit there mesmerized by the grace elicited from the already exquisite concert.

Strange as it may seem, I developed a complex appreciation of the water cycle, another arrangement with no true ending or beginning so perfectly orchestrated into necessary refrains. It fascinates me how the same water has been on earth since nearly the beginning of time retracing its steps time and time again. Something that eternal and ethereal compares to the same tenuous balance between life and death that will play until the end of time. People should not view rain as an abrupt ending of a sunny day’s waltz, but as a refreshing score of tranquil notes.