Weather: 95 Degrees of Separation

Bianca

When my friends and I look at each other with parched lips and bodies covered in sweat, we step backwards to keep from touching. Summer brings these moments of separation caused by bugs,the relentless heat of the sun, and air filled with sticky drops of water. During these dog days our minds are occupied with icy lemonade, soft serve ice cream covered in caramel and chocolate, pushing each other into a pool, and walking to the gas station to buy cherry cola slurpies. We live our suburban slushie lifestyle separated from each other by the sweltering noon day sun. No hand holding, hugs or cuddles take place when our bodies feel like fly paper.

I am a tactile person. I move close to my girl friends, nuzzle my bunny, and love to sleep under a soft down comforter with my head cradled in the bend of my arm. I do not like the inconvenience of weather, especially when summer brings humidity. Even the grass tickling my feet annoys me. I would rather have them tucked inside my fuzzy slippers. Summer does not make me happy nor brighten my spirits, simply because It keeps me away from my friends and family.

Winter, on the other hand, brings the smell of clean air so crisp you can almost taste it. Once in awhile the cold can bite but is usually followed by a white blanket of snow. The snow-covered trees resemble powdered sugar on holiday cookies. I love to talk when standing in the freezing cold and watch clouds of condensation float from my mouth to disappear in the air. I even love to kick the frozen snow off the mud flaps on our car. My parents think I am being helpful and smile until seeing me kicking the snow off all the mud flaps in the grocery store parking lot. I marvel over the intricacies of the snow flakes clinging to my friends' hair while waiting at the bus stop. We laugh over who has the prettiest patterns.

Skiing only happens in the winter for me. Driving up the mountain, I can see snow piled three times the height of our car. The closer we come to the top of the mountain, the higher the snow appears to be. Once on the slopes, I can't wait to zigzag down the mountain watching the snow spray off the side of my skis when making sharp turns. When finished, I take off my puffy snow suit and reach for a cup of cocoa. I notice people whistle a lot more in the winter.

Winter evenings bring a coziness not found on summer evenings. My friends and I sit huddled under a blanket on the couch toasting marshmallows and feeling the warmth coming from the fireplace. We tell each other stories and laugh a lot. The warmth of togetherness only occurs in the winter time.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:09:24 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our runners up.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:09:04 PM

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:36:01 PM