STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: From Beautiful to Disaster

joseph_mikolaycik

It was a bright and sunny day in Big Bear California. My whole family had been visiting up there in our cabin. It was the first time every child and parent in my family had been up there together in a long time. On that particular day we felt as if we had ran out of activities to enjoy. We had already taken long walks together, taken hikes, went to a small town water park, and even went and saw a movie together. But on that day we found we were bored with nothing to do. Luckily, my mom found the answer. Nearby at a local private airport the city was hosting a car show that featured classic models and even a few planes. At first, my brothers and I were opposed to the idea. I have never really been a big fan of cars or car shows, and my brothers would much rather have stayed home to watch movies or play football. My mom argued that it was a beautiful day and that maybe we would see some interesting vehicles. With nothing to do we all figured that it would be a fun event and all decided to go. My dad had some repairs to do around the house though and he decided to stay home. I, nor anyone in my family, knew that my dad staying home would eventually save us from disaster.

So my family and I began to pack snacks and waters for the day. Around twelve o'clock in the afternoon we headed out. My mom was right. It was a beautiful day. The sun shown brightly against our faces and the sky was a great shade of blue. The smell of trees and pinecones filled the air as we began to walk to the airport. When we arrived, I soon was glad that we had decided to come. Being at a young age, I had never seen so many classic and "hot-rod" cars before in my life. I was fascinated by all the different styles and colors of all the cars stretched out around the small airport. We all felt nothing could go wrong. But then all of a sudden we heard a boom and the clouds went dark. Out of nowhere rain began to pour fast and in great amounts. Hail pounded the ground. Everyone in attendance rushed out while the cars owners struggled to close their hoods. We ran out as fast as we could but soon found ourselves stuck under a tree in the pouring rain. Luckily one of my sisters was able to call my dad and he came to pick us up. Had he not stayed home we would have to walk all the way back in the storm. When we arrived home we realized the humor in the situation and all shared a good laugh.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy