Weather: From Beautiful to Disaster

joseph_mikolaycik

It was a bright and sunny day in Big Bear California. My whole family had been visiting up there in our cabin. It was the first time every child and parent in my family had been up there together in a long time. On that particular day we felt as if we had ran out of activities to enjoy. We had already taken long walks together, taken hikes, went to a small town water park, and even went and saw a movie together. But on that day we found we were bored with nothing to do. Luckily, my mom found the answer. Nearby at a local private airport the city was hosting a car show that featured classic models and even a few planes. At first, my brothers and I were opposed to the idea. I have never really been a big fan of cars or car shows, and my brothers would much rather have stayed home to watch movies or play football. My mom argued that it was a beautiful day and that maybe we would see some interesting vehicles. With nothing to do we all figured that it would be a fun event and all decided to go. My dad had some repairs to do around the house though and he decided to stay home. I, nor anyone in my family, knew that my dad staying home would eventually save us from disaster.

So my family and I began to pack snacks and waters for the day. Around twelve o'clock in the afternoon we headed out. My mom was right. It was a beautiful day. The sun shown brightly against our faces and the sky was a great shade of blue. The smell of trees and pinecones filled the air as we began to walk to the airport. When we arrived, I soon was glad that we had decided to come. Being at a young age, I had never seen so many classic and "hot-rod" cars before in my life. I was fascinated by all the different styles and colors of all the cars stretched out around the small airport. We all felt nothing could go wrong. But then all of a sudden we heard a boom and the clouds went dark. Out of nowhere rain began to pour fast and in great amounts. Hail pounded the ground. Everyone in attendance rushed out while the cars owners struggled to close their hoods. We ran out as fast as we could but soon found ourselves stuck under a tree in the pouring rain. Luckily one of my sisters was able to call my dad and he came to pick us up. Had he not stayed home we would have to walk all the way back in the storm. When we arrived home we realized the humor in the situation and all shared a good laugh.