STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: Bringing a Community Together

michellewolk
It was October 29th, 2012. The wind was howling and the rain was coming down harder and faster than ever before. The hurricane was here. The aftermath of Hurricane Sandy left behind a war zone on Long Island. Trees blocked roads, power lines were down, and practically everyone lost power. I was without power for thirteen days. It felt like life could never be restored to normalcy after such an event. However, within a few weeks, school resumed and my daily routine did become a bit more normal. I was one of the lucky ones. Although my life wasn’t drastically impacted by the storm, there were many others who lost their lives, their homes, and were still in desperate need of help.

News of the hurricane spread everywhere. Two kids from Oregon emailed my principal saying they wanted to help. Our principal responded, saying that we were much better off in our town than some of the neighboring areas. We agreed to work together to help Long Beach, an area still struggling with the damage. With the two boys from Oregon leading their fundraiser, and me leading ours, we worked together to raise money for Long Beach Middle School. My school held a garage sale. We solicited donations from community members and then held the event on a Saturday afternoon. The entire community showed up as well as Long Beach students and families. Together, we were all able to raise approximately five thousand dollars to benefit a great cause stemming from weather.

This experience taught me that there are events that I cannot control, but there are things I can do to help. It also helped me come to the realization that I do not want to live in a climate where I am subject to cold weather, wind, and hurricanes. For this reason, I look forward to the day when I can move somewhere else with a more tropical climate. I would love to leave New York and go to California or Hawaii, places with warmer climates that are less prone to hurricanes. Moving to a more tropical climate would be extremely beneficial to my mental health, because the weather absolutely plays a part in my mood. If I look outside and it’s cold and dreary, I am more likely to feel upset and stressed. But if I were to look out and see the sun glowing, I imagine it would help me to feel much more cheery and relaxed.

Weather is one of those things that plays a massive part in my life, but I’ve never really thought about until now. Weather has the capability to affect mood, the closeness of a community, and so much more. For that, I want to live somewhere where the weather has a positive impact on my life.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy