Weather: Bringing a Community Together

michellewolk
It was October 29th, 2012. The wind was howling and the rain was coming down harder and faster than ever before. The hurricane was here. The aftermath of Hurricane Sandy left behind a war zone on Long Island. Trees blocked roads, power lines were down, and practically everyone lost power. I was without power for thirteen days. It felt like life could never be restored to normalcy after such an event. However, within a few weeks, school resumed and my daily routine did become a bit more normal. I was one of the lucky ones. Although my life wasn’t drastically impacted by the storm, there were many others who lost their lives, their homes, and were still in desperate need of help.

News of the hurricane spread everywhere. Two kids from Oregon emailed my principal saying they wanted to help. Our principal responded, saying that we were much better off in our town than some of the neighboring areas. We agreed to work together to help Long Beach, an area still struggling with the damage. With the two boys from Oregon leading their fundraiser, and me leading ours, we worked together to raise money for Long Beach Middle School. My school held a garage sale. We solicited donations from community members and then held the event on a Saturday afternoon. The entire community showed up as well as Long Beach students and families. Together, we were all able to raise approximately five thousand dollars to benefit a great cause stemming from weather.

This experience taught me that there are events that I cannot control, but there are things I can do to help. It also helped me come to the realization that I do not want to live in a climate where I am subject to cold weather, wind, and hurricanes. For this reason, I look forward to the day when I can move somewhere else with a more tropical climate. I would love to leave New York and go to California or Hawaii, places with warmer climates that are less prone to hurricanes. Moving to a more tropical climate would be extremely beneficial to my mental health, because the weather absolutely plays a part in my mood. If I look outside and it’s cold and dreary, I am more likely to feel upset and stressed. But if I were to look out and see the sun glowing, I imagine it would help me to feel much more cheery and relaxed.

Weather is one of those things that plays a massive part in my life, but I’ve never really thought about until now. Weather has the capability to affect mood, the closeness of a community, and so much more. For that, I want to live somewhere where the weather has a positive impact on my life.