STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: The Beat of a Once Painful Reminder

tiffykakakakang
Pit pat, pit pat. The sound of rain that pours from the skies silences all other sounds. I stare out the car window looking at the blurring scenery while my mom brokenly sings a familiar hymn.
I remember on the day my uncle had passed, heaven had opened its floodgates. It seemed as if Mother Nature was crying for him too. “Pit pat, pit pat” was all I heard when my uncle had closed his eyes for eternity. Even on the day of his funeral I constantly heard the droplets thumping against the wooden roof of the chapel. The rain and the proximity to Christmas had prohibited many people from attending my uncle’s funeral. He was a selfless man who deserved an audience of millions, yet only twenty came to pay their respects.
For a while, I could not stand the sound and thought of rain. Not only did the gloominess in the sky dampen my mood, but the sound of the rain drops constantly reminded me of what I had lost. When the weatherman forecasted winter showers, I made sure to plug my headphones into my iPod and blast old hymns that my uncle used to sing. It was not until a couple weeks later, did my mother and I get the chance to scatter my uncle’s ashes. My grandmother had suggested pouring them into the ocean, but I did not want my uncle to become fish food or be lost in the depths of the dark sea. No, he deserved better.
I forced my mom to drive to a nearby mountain that had received a fresh pile of snow. The mountain would be beautiful and pristine; the perfect location for the resting place of uncle. As I was waiting for my mom to get the car out our garage, I felt something cold hit my face. It felt foreign to me because I had tried so hard to avoid it at all costs. The coldness of the rain was a sharp reminder of the warmth I no longer felt from my uncle’s love. The wet drops reminded me of the tears I vowed to no longer shed. However, during the drive, the harsh sound of the rain soon disappeared. The cascading rain had turned into beautiful snowflakes. When we had arrived at the mountain, everything felt so peaceful. The snow glistened, the slight wind played a melodic tune, and the falling snowflakes made everything seem picturesque.
As the wind carried my uncle’s ashes, I felt that he was finally free. No longer bounded by the cancer that had taken him, but free to roam the earth as he pleased. The rain fell against the hood of my car as we drove back home, but at the same time a double rainbow had peaked from the clouds. Pit pat, pit pat, I embraced the sound of the rain and sang the familiar hymn to the beat of the raindrops.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:09:07 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as our 3rd place teen essay.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:07:44 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:35:38 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy