Weather: The Beat of a Once Painful Reminder

tiffykakakakang
Pit pat, pit pat. The sound of rain that pours from the skies silences all other sounds. I stare out the car window looking at the blurring scenery while my mom brokenly sings a familiar hymn.
I remember on the day my uncle had passed, heaven had opened its floodgates. It seemed as if Mother Nature was crying for him too. “Pit pat, pit pat” was all I heard when my uncle had closed his eyes for eternity. Even on the day of his funeral I constantly heard the droplets thumping against the wooden roof of the chapel. The rain and the proximity to Christmas had prohibited many people from attending my uncle’s funeral. He was a selfless man who deserved an audience of millions, yet only twenty came to pay their respects.
For a while, I could not stand the sound and thought of rain. Not only did the gloominess in the sky dampen my mood, but the sound of the rain drops constantly reminded me of what I had lost. When the weatherman forecasted winter showers, I made sure to plug my headphones into my iPod and blast old hymns that my uncle used to sing. It was not until a couple weeks later, did my mother and I get the chance to scatter my uncle’s ashes. My grandmother had suggested pouring them into the ocean, but I did not want my uncle to become fish food or be lost in the depths of the dark sea. No, he deserved better.
I forced my mom to drive to a nearby mountain that had received a fresh pile of snow. The mountain would be beautiful and pristine; the perfect location for the resting place of uncle. As I was waiting for my mom to get the car out our garage, I felt something cold hit my face. It felt foreign to me because I had tried so hard to avoid it at all costs. The coldness of the rain was a sharp reminder of the warmth I no longer felt from my uncle’s love. The wet drops reminded me of the tears I vowed to no longer shed. However, during the drive, the harsh sound of the rain soon disappeared. The cascading rain had turned into beautiful snowflakes. When we had arrived at the mountain, everything felt so peaceful. The snow glistened, the slight wind played a melodic tune, and the falling snowflakes made everything seem picturesque.
As the wind carried my uncle’s ashes, I felt that he was finally free. No longer bounded by the cancer that had taken him, but free to roam the earth as he pleased. The rain fell against the hood of my car as we drove back home, but at the same time a double rainbow had peaked from the clouds. Pit pat, pit pat, I embraced the sound of the rain and sang the familiar hymn to the beat of the raindrops.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:09:07 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as our 3rd place teen essay.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:07:44 PM

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:35:38 PM