Weather: Thunderclouds

smfuchs
I used to know the language of the clouds. It has been a while since I lost my fluency, but every now and again, I look to the sky and take in the rhythm of my splattered friends.
We learned the names of the clouds in 4th grade—cumulus, stratus, that new one called undulatus asperatus—but these words have lost any meaning for me.
The names I know are the same as I have ever known: marshmallow clouds; plane-trail clouds; clouds that hang low in the sky like dropped papers; and thunderclouds, which are my favorite.
I love the charged humidity, the burning quiet that comes before. I love how sneaky they are, slithering into the already gray Portland sky, tapping their rattles before attack.
The thundercloud is a drummer, dribbling softly on the skins before EXPLODING and killing his sticks again and again.
The thundercloud is the intimidating pierced man downstage, with the rectangle tattoos and the puppy-dog eyes.
The thundercloud is the random man my friend kissed at a rock show, despite the alcohol and pot on his breath.
I like the thundercloud. I have long since lost his dialect, but sometimes, late at night, I will squeeze my mind shut, and tap along to his beat.
Comment by TheAshleyRZ

THIS IS AMAZING!!!

The language of the clouds? New book title!!
'the rectangle tattoos and the puppy-dog eyes' genius. You are marvelous and your writing is...god.

I like the thundercloud too. well done.
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2015 2:17:22 AM