Weather: Running in the Rain

hootpoot123
My dad lets me out of the car, and I hear the groans from parents as I walk over to the middle of the track. I can tell all of them are just absolutely thrilled to be here.
It is a cold, wet, and rainy March day that chills you to the bones. I see some people walking around the track while huddled together in their blankets. I see others picking up pink worms, then dropping them onto the ground, and watching as they curl up into a little ball. I suppose they washed up from under the ground due to all of the rain.
The track is slick, shiny, and a bit slippery, when you run. I stick out my hand and watch as the small drops of rain bounce off of it, then fall onto the ground. This makes my skin tickle.
As I am doing this, my friend Audrey, a tall blonde-headed girl with glasses, walks over to me and stands next to me. "Ugh!" she groans. "Why do we always get the rainy days for track?"
"I don't know," I say, and a little laugh escapes me, "But honestly, I don't mind the rain. Actually, I kind of like it."
"Why" She asks. "You get all gross and wet when it rains. Besides, the long jump is all muddy. Do you know how disgusting it is to get wet sand stuck in your shoes?"
"No, but I love muddy shot put." I explain. "It's hilarious when you throw the shot put, then it lands in a pile of mud and gets mud everywhere."
"Ew, that's gross, Audrey says and wrinkles her nose, clearly disgusted by the thought of it.
"It also cools you off whenever you are running," I point out.
"I guess you're right," she says, then pauses for a minute, "but it makes the track slippery when you're running.
"It doesn't really bother me," I say cheerfully.
"That's because you run the mile. I have to sprint."
We stand there silently for a moment, just listening to the clear, tiny drops of water falling to the ground, and the chatter of everyone around us. Then we hear a man announce over the speakers that the long jump will be starting shortly. Audrey says good bye and heads over to her event. When I am alone I look around and take in every single detail: the way the rain sounds as it falls softly to the ground, the way the wind blows, and slowly moves the grass, making it look as though it is dancing in the wind. I never want to forget it because it looks and feels like home.
Every now and then, a rainy day in March will come and go. The air is damp and full of moisture, and the wind will carry the heavy scent of earth. It is on these days that I long for the home I once had: just a track, a field, and a world of possibilities.