STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: Running in the Rain

hootpoot123
My dad lets me out of the car, and I hear the groans from parents as I walk over to the middle of the track. I can tell all of them are just absolutely thrilled to be here.
It is a cold, wet, and rainy March day that chills you to the bones. I see some people walking around the track while huddled together in their blankets. I see others picking up pink worms, then dropping them onto the ground, and watching as they curl up into a little ball. I suppose they washed up from under the ground due to all of the rain.
The track is slick, shiny, and a bit slippery, when you run. I stick out my hand and watch as the small drops of rain bounce off of it, then fall onto the ground. This makes my skin tickle.
As I am doing this, my friend Audrey, a tall blonde-headed girl with glasses, walks over to me and stands next to me. "Ugh!" she groans. "Why do we always get the rainy days for track?"
"I don't know," I say, and a little laugh escapes me, "But honestly, I don't mind the rain. Actually, I kind of like it."
"Why" She asks. "You get all gross and wet when it rains. Besides, the long jump is all muddy. Do you know how disgusting it is to get wet sand stuck in your shoes?"
"No, but I love muddy shot put." I explain. "It's hilarious when you throw the shot put, then it lands in a pile of mud and gets mud everywhere."
"Ew, that's gross, Audrey says and wrinkles her nose, clearly disgusted by the thought of it.
"It also cools you off whenever you are running," I point out.
"I guess you're right," she says, then pauses for a minute, "but it makes the track slippery when you're running.
"It doesn't really bother me," I say cheerfully.
"That's because you run the mile. I have to sprint."
We stand there silently for a moment, just listening to the clear, tiny drops of water falling to the ground, and the chatter of everyone around us. Then we hear a man announce over the speakers that the long jump will be starting shortly. Audrey says good bye and heads over to her event. When I am alone I look around and take in every single detail: the way the rain sounds as it falls softly to the ground, the way the wind blows, and slowly moves the grass, making it look as though it is dancing in the wind. I never want to forget it because it looks and feels like home.
Every now and then, a rainy day in March will come and go. The air is damp and full of moisture, and the wind will carry the heavy scent of earth. It is on these days that I long for the home I once had: just a track, a field, and a world of possibilities.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy