Weather: Episode V- The Heat Wave Strikes Back

ohliffia3
It was mid-June, school was out, and the summer had just begun. The temperature had risen above my preferred comfort level, and I was not thinking optimistically about the weather for the rest of my school vacation. I suppose this was karma’s way of getting back at me for complaining about the cold during the winter months. My father was a teacher, therefore he had off in the summer as well as my siblings and I. This particular summer, during an ungodly heat wave, he, my brother, sister and I would lounge around the house sulking about the torturous temperatures, which plagued our home. We would lie on the couch with ice packs on our foreheads, singing songs like ‘Baby, it’s Cold Outside’ (Dean Martin) in hopes that suddenly, such lyrics would come to pass.
On one summer day in particular, my mother decided we would go to the local YMCA to escape this extreme heat, instead of spending the rest of the day hosting a pity party for ourselves. My siblings and I packed up all the necessary pool toys for such an escapade, and we hopped into the back of our dilapidated mini van. As soon as we sat down, the back of our legs stuck to the sweltering leather seats. When we reached our destination, we had to forcefully pry our sweaty skin from the car’s interior.
The sun was so intensely hot, we could feel our skin reddening within seconds of being outdoors. My mother rapidly applied sun block to our skin, hoping that the sun had not already singed us. I have never seen my mother laugh harder than when she had to apply a bucket of sun block over my father’s porcelain, Irish skin. She is Italian, so she never had to deal with such pasty misfortune.
My mother made us sit on the side of the pool for fifteen minutes waiting for our sunscreen to dry. We watched the other swimmers in envy as they could submerge themselves in this enclosed water basin. Finally, our fifteen minutes were up, and we decided we would enter the pool by jumping in the deep end holding hands. We quickly made our way to the opposite end of the pool deck, when suddenly the lifeguard grabbed us by our shoulders. He said we were to be punished for running on the wet concrete, so we were forced, once again, to sit outside the pool for what felt like an eternity. When the lifeguard deemed our punishment complete, we stood slowly, hoping to not anger him further. We proceeded to slowly walk to the pool, covered in sweat, we were ready to cool down. We held hands and after counting down, we jumped in! Within seconds of being under water, it began to rain. We had waited for it to rain for weeks, and just our luck, the heat wave decided to give in, just so it could ruin our pool day!