STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: Episode V- The Heat Wave Strikes Back

ohliffia3
It was mid-June, school was out, and the summer had just begun. The temperature had risen above my preferred comfort level, and I was not thinking optimistically about the weather for the rest of my school vacation. I suppose this was karma’s way of getting back at me for complaining about the cold during the winter months. My father was a teacher, therefore he had off in the summer as well as my siblings and I. This particular summer, during an ungodly heat wave, he, my brother, sister and I would lounge around the house sulking about the torturous temperatures, which plagued our home. We would lie on the couch with ice packs on our foreheads, singing songs like ‘Baby, it’s Cold Outside’ (Dean Martin) in hopes that suddenly, such lyrics would come to pass.
On one summer day in particular, my mother decided we would go to the local YMCA to escape this extreme heat, instead of spending the rest of the day hosting a pity party for ourselves. My siblings and I packed up all the necessary pool toys for such an escapade, and we hopped into the back of our dilapidated mini van. As soon as we sat down, the back of our legs stuck to the sweltering leather seats. When we reached our destination, we had to forcefully pry our sweaty skin from the car’s interior.
The sun was so intensely hot, we could feel our skin reddening within seconds of being outdoors. My mother rapidly applied sun block to our skin, hoping that the sun had not already singed us. I have never seen my mother laugh harder than when she had to apply a bucket of sun block over my father’s porcelain, Irish skin. She is Italian, so she never had to deal with such pasty misfortune.
My mother made us sit on the side of the pool for fifteen minutes waiting for our sunscreen to dry. We watched the other swimmers in envy as they could submerge themselves in this enclosed water basin. Finally, our fifteen minutes were up, and we decided we would enter the pool by jumping in the deep end holding hands. We quickly made our way to the opposite end of the pool deck, when suddenly the lifeguard grabbed us by our shoulders. He said we were to be punished for running on the wet concrete, so we were forced, once again, to sit outside the pool for what felt like an eternity. When the lifeguard deemed our punishment complete, we stood slowly, hoping to not anger him further. We proceeded to slowly walk to the pool, covered in sweat, we were ready to cool down. We held hands and after counting down, we jumped in! Within seconds of being under water, it began to rain. We had waited for it to rain for weeks, and just our luck, the heat wave decided to give in, just so it could ruin our pool day!
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy