Weather: Thunder Frogs

Danny Vander Molen
“What was that?!” My brothers and I looked to the sky with worry on our faces. The sky had become very dark in a matter of minutes. We were at an elevation of 12,000 feet and a storm was brewing over our heads.
My family and I were camping in the beautiful Sierra Mountains in California. That morning, while fishing in the creek at our campsite, we discussed taking a hike to a chain of lakes in a mountain range nearby. As soon as lunch was over, we headed over to the trail head.
The trail started out at a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains. The first mile was very easy and then it began to get steep and very rocky. But the scenery was incredible! It was amazing as we hiked through a valley with huge trees on both sides. The mountains stretched all the way to the sky and seemed to touch the black clouds above. As we hiked, we would come across lakes with beautiful panoramic views. Just when we thought we had found the most beautiful lake view, we would hike a little farther and find a view more amazing than the last. We were truly enjoying God’s handiwork!
We were approaching one of the last lakes on the trail known as Frog Lake. We were not sure if that meant it was shaped like a frog or if it was inhabited by frogs. As we exited the trees into a clearing, we were hit by a cold rush of wind. And our questions about Frog Lake were answered. Out of the rushing of the wind, we could hear a sound getting louder and louder. At first, we could not determine what the sound was. But as we got closer to the lake, we were able to hear it better and discovered that the sound was an orchestra of frogs in tune with every croak. It was such a unique sound that is not heard in the city. Suddenly the symphony of frogs was interrupted by a crack of thunder. It cut through the sky, striking us with a shock of terror. The rumbling resounded off the walls of the mountains surrounding us. After the roar of thunder subsided, the realization that we were about three miles from our car, exposed on a hillside, in a thunderstorm, hit us. Looking at each other, we took off running down the trail we had just climbed up. Amid flashes of lightning, claps of thunder, and a heavy downpour of cold rain, we flew down the mountain. We reached the car safety about 30 minutes later and returned to our campsite to enjoy a cool evening around a warm fire and marvel about God’s strength and power in the storm.