Weather: Wet Day at Camp

dynamicdude951
I was at a christian camp in Michigan with my youth group for a week during the summer of 2011. We had been having really nice sunny, cool weather for almost the entire week that we had been there. Then the day before we were going to be leaving, the weather started to get cloudier. Around the late afternoon it started to sprinkle, and it continued to get worse throughout the day. Everyone had to go back to their tents early because the rain was getting too intense. While we were sitting in our tent we could feel the water flowing under us. At around eight o'clock thunder and lightning commenced. One of the tents a few dozen feet from my groups tent was actually struck by lightning in the middle of the night. By the morning the rain had mostly stopped except for a slight sprinkle. That was the morning that we had to leave the camp and head home. On the way out of the camp we saw that the entire forum area had been flooded. The rain had made a ditch in the camp into a river which we had to build a makeshift bridge to cross. Overall from what I had heard, over two feet of rain had fallen overnight. This may not sound like a lot in some areas but in central California where I live, it's a lot.