Weather: The Ultimate Game-Changer

kiralewis
On of the first steps of the Scientific Method is to identify independent variables. These are measurements that when altered, can lead to many changing results. This input-output mechanism is apparent in life. Weather is most likely the most influential of all independent variables. One sweep of Mother Nature can bring nurturing spring showers and melting sunshine. Another sweep can bring devastating draught and flooding downpours. Everyday, weather determines our mood, obstacles and behaviors. Weather is the ultimate decision maker, altering lives each minute of each day.
In October of 2012, the East Coast experienced one of the worst coastal Hurricanes in history. Hurricane Sandy claimed 285 lives and destroyed thousands of towns and houses. Living in New Jersey, I was in the center of the disastrous storm. I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by my good friends, and we made the most of the weeklong power outages and trembling thunder. So many others, however, were not as lucky. Long Beach Island, where most of the people from my town reside in the summer, was completely destroyed. Over half of the houses on the island simply disappeared into the waves or were blown to pieces by the 115-mile per hour winds. Lives were lost, homes were destroyed, families were torn apart. In hindsight, it is rather terrifying that all of this pain and fear was caused by weather. A simple mixing of cold and warm winds had the ability to create such devastation. It is appalling that a change in wind patterns, or temperature is so influential in our lives.
It is often difficult to look on the bright side of such terrible circumstances. However it is crucial to do so in order to fight back and to grow. Although Sandy was a terrible storm, some good did come of it. Now on Long Beach Island, people are rebuilding their houses stronger and more fortified than before. These homeowners have realized that investing in a sturdier house worth the price. Also, Hurricane Sandy drew attention to climate change. For years, scientists have been warning us of the dramatic weather patterns that can be results of global warming. Hurricane Sandy acted as a wakeup call for many previously non-believing people. Above all, Hurricane Sandy brought the entire northeast closer together. People bonded with their triumphant tales of survival, and connected over their tragic tales of loss.
In everyday life, people often look past the weather, not even acknowledging its power and potential. Weather is, in reality, the greatest constant in the scientific experiment of life. Everyday Mother Nature makes a change, and as a result the entire planet, from plants to people, changes as well. Her legacy is the greatest in the universe. Weather truly is the “great equalizer.”