STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I'm Thankful of my Exchange year

azzelynet
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt.

I’m truly, madly, deeply thankful of my exchange year in the U.S. I know I’ve been here only for 3 months, I still have 8 months to spend here, and in fact only in 3 months I get so many lessons. Unpredictable experience that makes me realize of having such a wonderful life, family, friends and people who really care and love me. Hard times that make me a stronger, religious, more independent and mature person! It’s all about looking at the good side when we’re having a trouble. I learn how not to expect too much. All the bad and good things that have happened to me during my stay, make me realize how lucky I am, how precious my life is!

Do you think I lie? Nope! Not at all, well at least you’re not alone in the land where you barely know the people, away from your family, home, friends, you really know nobody! What makes it harder is that you have to deal with totally different cultures, customs and habits. This is the time to test your adaptability skill, how strong you are to cope with problems.

Sometimes I cry, because nobody can help me but myself. You don’t want to tell your parents who are miles away about your problem, cause they’ll be freaked out, and there’s nothing they can do about it. The only thing to do is open your mind, keep positive thinking, and believe that everything’s going to work out.

Problems that happened to me make me realize that my mom, dad, and brothers are the best thing ever happened to me. I know my brothers are sometimes annoying or my parents are grumpy, but I realize that they’re the ones that truly love and care about me, the ones that always there when I’m down, they’re simply people you can count on to. And when you’re thousand miles away, knowing you can’t really hug or kiss him when you miss him, you’d feel bad if you remember that you’ve ever mad at them. Maybe you ever got mad at your dad and mom cause they wouldn’t let you hang out with friends, or you got mad to your brothers cause they ate your favorite cake. Worse, you think about get away from them, trying to get a great escape. Well, as we grow up and learn from things, you’d know that it’s the worst thing you’d do, because they are irreplaceable, no matter what.

And also when you used to think that your place that you live in is boring, and you really want to get out from that place, well think twice, in a real life, places you see on TV sometimes can be tricky, it’s probably way far from it. Then you’d say to yourself “Oh how I love my hometown!”, the time when you really love and being proud of your place and who you are.
Words can’t express my thankfulness, all I can say is always see the bright side of things, don’t give up when you have a problem. God knows what best for us, keep open your mind!
Rate this:
Comment by farmgirlwrites

That's awesome that you're in the US as an exchange student! I've always thought it would be cool to go to another country for a cultural experience (or culture shock, whichever you'd like to phrase it as).
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:06:08 AM
Rate this:
Comment by azzelynet

Yes it's such an amazing experience, there's always a chance to join an exchange program, you should join it :)
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:25:14 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy