I'm Thankful of my Exchange year

azzelynet
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt.

I’m truly, madly, deeply thankful of my exchange year in the U.S. I know I’ve been here only for 3 months, I still have 8 months to spend here, and in fact only in 3 months I get so many lessons. Unpredictable experience that makes me realize of having such a wonderful life, family, friends and people who really care and love me. Hard times that make me a stronger, religious, more independent and mature person! It’s all about looking at the good side when we’re having a trouble. I learn how not to expect too much. All the bad and good things that have happened to me during my stay, make me realize how lucky I am, how precious my life is!

Do you think I lie? Nope! Not at all, well at least you’re not alone in the land where you barely know the people, away from your family, home, friends, you really know nobody! What makes it harder is that you have to deal with totally different cultures, customs and habits. This is the time to test your adaptability skill, how strong you are to cope with problems.

Sometimes I cry, because nobody can help me but myself. You don’t want to tell your parents who are miles away about your problem, cause they’ll be freaked out, and there’s nothing they can do about it. The only thing to do is open your mind, keep positive thinking, and believe that everything’s going to work out.

Problems that happened to me make me realize that my mom, dad, and brothers are the best thing ever happened to me. I know my brothers are sometimes annoying or my parents are grumpy, but I realize that they’re the ones that truly love and care about me, the ones that always there when I’m down, they’re simply people you can count on to. And when you’re thousand miles away, knowing you can’t really hug or kiss him when you miss him, you’d feel bad if you remember that you’ve ever mad at them. Maybe you ever got mad at your dad and mom cause they wouldn’t let you hang out with friends, or you got mad to your brothers cause they ate your favorite cake. Worse, you think about get away from them, trying to get a great escape. Well, as we grow up and learn from things, you’d know that it’s the worst thing you’d do, because they are irreplaceable, no matter what.

And also when you used to think that your place that you live in is boring, and you really want to get out from that place, well think twice, in a real life, places you see on TV sometimes can be tricky, it’s probably way far from it. Then you’d say to yourself “Oh how I love my hometown!”, the time when you really love and being proud of your place and who you are.
Words can’t express my thankfulness, all I can say is always see the bright side of things, don’t give up when you have a problem. God knows what best for us, keep open your mind!
Comment by farmgirlwrites

That's awesome that you're in the US as an exchange student! I've always thought it would be cool to go to another country for a cultural experience (or culture shock, whichever you'd like to phrase it as).
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:06:08 AM
Comment by azzelynet

Yes it's such an amazing experience, there's always a chance to join an exchange program, you should join it :)
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:25:14 AM