I am Thankful for My Mom

paige13
I would come home on jam-packed Saturdays in 2nd and 3rd grade after peewee soccer games. The little of my pale skin exposed to the elements that wasn’t covered by knee-length shorts, socks and baggy sweatshirts stuffed under colorful jerseys, was covered in thick layers of mud. I’d climb onto a stool by the kitchen counter and you would cook up anything I wanted—pasta, sandwiches, soups, whatever it was my small mind could think of. Even at my small stature, my appetite was growing tremendously, and you would feed me anything I asked for. There were no questions asked, never saying no, nothing. You were always there to feed me. You didn’t mind when I didn’t say thank you, and when I was quickly off to do something else. As long as I was happy, you were happy. You never protested.
You were there to satisfy everybody else, before even thinking about yourself. I fed off you, kept taking, and I accepted it as a normal thing. I learned at a young age that you loved me, and that you would give your all for me; I never did anything to change that. Even now, the relationship is the same, and I take it as a daily occurrence. Our lives are even busier, but you still manage to find time in your day to make something for me.
Why did you never say anything? Why do you just watch and let me go by, not even saying one word? I, as the producer, never acknowledges what you, as the producer, does. A “please” and a “thank you”, a “how was your day?”, a meaningful smile, would be just be a little more. I consider us to be close, but I can’t help but wonder if it would be any better if I appreciated the cooking you do for me a little bit more.
You take the hard hits and fend off the complaints. On Sunday night dinners when a crabby dad takes a bite of “cold” fish or steak, you shrug off his pickiness and smile at me, asking me how dinner is. The dinner is always good, and I give the same old monotone “fine” or “great”. I regret never giving anything more than that, as it happens each and every weekend, and you work so hard to make something that pleases everyone, Even after a long, exhausting day of work, you manage to push out delicious entrées that I take for granted. I never think about the effort you put into it, but just expect food to appear on my plate. I never know how you find the willpower to do it; I guess you just want us to be happy. I don’t know how I would ever have done it without you. I don’t tell you enough how grateful I am for you vocally. But, I want you to know, mom, that I am eternally grateful every second of my life.