What I Am Thankful For Is the Past and Present

hersheygirl
As the door opens a delightful aroma floats up my nose; baking crisp turkey, bubbling gravy, popping corn, cold beans getting warmer, potatoes waiting to be mashed the smells of the holidays. A little ding tells us the food is ready and it’s time to eat. We say a pray thanking God for all the wonderful food that lies before us. Now we dig in. I lift the turkey up to your mouth and…
We think of Thanksgiving as being a day to engorge ourselves until we are sick. Do we think about what happened many years ago?
The air is cold and crisp the ground is soaked with that of human blood and tears. Death lingers in the air and breathes down solders backs. Then the gun shots subside and the bells of freedom ring from one end of the country to the other. Do we think about why we celebrate this holiday? I am thankful for the men and women fighting in the war right now. They are fighting to protect our country and keep us safe. They themselves cannot eat turkey or be in a warm house around loved ones. Instead they are engulfed in cold and the sight of blood and death is all around them. Many years ago men and women fight to make this county what it is today; we take them for granite and even on Thanksgiving all we think about it food. This Thanksgiving I am thankful for the men and women who did fight for this county and still are fighting for this country. So the next time you pray thanks to God before eating say a small pray for the men and women who made this day a holiday, and who also saved our lives!