STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Eleanor Roosevelt Quotation: Differences Do Not Define Me

morgan.champion.5
People all around Georgia say I’m strong. My parents, my friends, my peers, my teachers, and basically anyone who has a connection with me. But, the thing is, I don’t believe them. I believe that everyone faces their own challenges. Whether it’s work, school, relationship problems, religion, the death of a family member, or a physical disability, every living soul on this Earth has one thing that they must work for. I work to overcome Cerebral Palsy, which affects my legs, but also smaller motor muscles such as my fingers and tongue. I use canes, a walker, and a wheelchair at school. I used to despise it and go looking for cures. I thought I was different, an alien in a world of able bodied kids.
As a child, my twin sister, Katelyn was a figure skater. The whole family would cram into our Honda Odyssey minivan to drive a grueling forty-five minutes to the Cooler, the closest rink in our small city of Cumming. Don’t get me wrong, I loved watching my sister. She was so graceful, and the ice was her second home. But sometimes, her ability to jump, to spin, and to glide angered me. I wanted to be like Katelyn—to have working legs, to be graceful, to win competitions.
Then one day, something changed. My doctors told me that I would have to have a surgery. One that would leave me helpless. I supposedly couldn’t even sit up when it was over. Yet still, my family and I made the executive decision to undergo the biggest challenge I would ever face during December of my sixth grade year. I remember those few seconds before the anesthesiologists put me under. I was in the operating room; my mother was staring at my teary eyes, not uttering a word. I attempted to focus on the beeping of the heart monitor as my face began to droop into unconsciousness. Just as I caught my last glimpse of this messed up world, I remembered my sister and her figure skates. I loved them both so much.
Four years later, here I am. A freshman at North Forsyth High School. Defying every expectation the doctors set for me, but most importantly, not allowing anyone or anything to get in the way of my goals, to tell me what I can and cannot do. At some point in their lives, everyone has felt inferior. It’s not a question, but whether they can overcome their feelings depends on the person. Whether they can put aside their challenges and live a meaningful life—that’s strength.
When everyone tells me I’m strong, that I’m a role model, it’s not because I overcame the wheelchair; it’s because I realized that my differences don’t define me. That I can do anything I want, no matter what others say. That no one can make me feel inferior without my consent.

Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Eleanor Roosevelt essay being selected as one of our top 10 teen essays for our February writing contest.

To view all the results of our February 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after March 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:58:24 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of our entire editorial board we would like to congratulate you for your essay being selected as our 1st place winner in our February Eleanor Roosevelt Quotation teen essay competition.

You should be very proud of your accomplishment!

We will be contacting you via your registration email with details about prizes.

Thanks again for adding your voice to our mission to Change the World, One Story at a Time.

Sincerely,
Rebecca A. Thiegs
Stageoflife Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 8:54:23 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

It's been a long wait, but we finally completed the February 2015 teen trend report based on the writing contest participants. To view the report, click on the link below:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandSelfWorth.aspx

- Rebecca Thiegs
Stageoflife.com Co-founder and Education Consultant
"Changing the world, one story at a time."
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2015 8:46:44 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy