I'm Thankful for Walks

heyhaye
Lately, I developed the habit of walking. My route is a meandered circle around my boarding school. Curving into a garden from a brightly-lit hall, the route is secluded, a refuge from the clutter of noisy chatter.

Sometimes I walk with a friend, sometimes I walk alone. Sometimes there is a warm and sticky breeze, sometimes the chill bites me cold. However, usually it is a comforting, soothing balm. It caresses my burdens deep into the night; waking me up each morning, with a tender, fresh kiss.

It so happened that one day, I was taking an important exam. For Mathematics, my worst subject. I walked my daily route. Halfway down the slope, I saw the morning dawn upon buildings. Dusky pinks unfolded, in wreaths of blue and white. At that moment, I was silenced by the grandeur of life.

Ensconced in my hand were cold, calculated formulas. My gaze travelled in between my clenched grasp, and the humming clouds above. They seemed effortless, swimming up to greater heights. Then, I decided to shove my notes away, and smiled with the world.

It was a good morning. I walked into the examination hall, happy and content. Not even fear, or disappointment, can distract me from the wondrous simplicity of life.