Eleanor Roosevelt Quotation: You Have the Choice of Walking Away

gabimartinez
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" (Roosevelt). While reading this quote some may feel empowered and support this statement; others who have been walked all over for a long period of time may not agree and think it is an action that is forced upon them. I am one to support this quote. The feeling of inferiority, from personal experience, is something you have control of. Growing up as a child of divorced parents I have seen both my mother and father go through their individual hardships. The one I would like to focus on today is my mother's. From a young age I have been exposed to negative relationships, as in dating. When my parents divorced my mother began dating approximately 2 years afterwards. My mother was with a man for approximately eight years and as time went on I witnessed how their relationship went from good to terrible within that time span. I was 4 years old when this relationship was beginning to blossom; being so young I did not understand why this man was around and not my own father. Because this man did treat us well I did not mind him being around. I think that because this man was so reserved and was not very hands on with taking care of my sister and I is the reason why I did not see him as a threat, threat as in trying to take the role of being my father. From the 6th to 8th year of the relationship I would be lying in bed listening to my mother, and her now fiancée, yell all night long. Some nights while they were fighting I would sneak out of my bed and look through the railing of the staircase to see what was going on if it sounded like it was beginning to get out of hand. The arguments seemed to be endless and there were a few occasions where my sister and I would get so scared our father had to come pick us up. My mother is a strong woman. She stayed in that relationship because of her perseverance and in that eight year span did have a child with him and did not want my brother to go through having separated parents like my sister and I. Though the arguments did get more intense she became even stronger through them. I remember being scared for her when this turn of events began but I saw the strength and bravery in her during this time. She would not accept being belittled and purposely trying to be seen as inferior because she knew she was not that. My mother could have left at any time but she is so stubborn she wanted it to work. Eventually you have to walk away from someone or something that only wants to bring you down rather than build you up. Know that you are worth something, do not be made inferior!