I'm Thankful for The American Soldier

pgarbero
They have taken many names during their 235 years of existence; “Billy Yank”, “Doughboy”, “Dogface”, “Grunt” ,“Leatherneck”. They have showed undoubted acts of courage in the abyss of battle. They have gone through hell, so our nation can be a little bit more like heaven. The American soldier is something I am truly thankful for. Every Thanksgiving, as we sit in our varnished wooden chairs at our family’s largest table, gazing at the crisp thinly sliced turkey, the creamy mashed potatoes, and of course the pumpkin pie, we remind ourselves what we are thankful for. There would be very little to actually be thankful if it were not for our soldiers. There would be no pumpkin pie, no mashed potatoes, no turkey, no freedom.

Since the founding of our nation, there have been those who have been willing to take up arms, and say no to an unjust act. At Valley Forge in 1778, Washington and his soldiers suffered greatly in frigid temperature so the idea of democracy would not die. At Gettysburg in 1863, soldiers bravely held their ground on Cemetery Ridge, to beat back the barbarous institution of slavery. At Normandy in 1944, when the sands of an evil regime were charged gallantly by our soldiers that morning in June. At Afghanistan in 2010, where our soldiers, at this very moment, are battling a cruel and hateful foe.

The pilgrims may have started Thanksgiving, but it is our soldiers who kept it going. As we sit at our Thanksgiving tables, ready to engorge ourselves full of turkey and then watch some football, we think of the abundant things we are grateful for. We must remember it was the soldiers who gave us the right to be thankful for these things in the first place, and to be thankful for the soldiers themselves.

Comment by AmyDoodle

Very insightful--we all need to remember to be thankful for our soldiers, who have given so much.
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:09:17 AM
Comment by bugcandy

I'm the CEO for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that the essay you submitted above was one of the semi-finalists for our November student writing contest.

Congratulations!

We look forward to reading more of your essays and obversations about life on the site!

Don't hesitate to Contact Us if you have any questions.

Eric

Eric Thiegs
CEO/President
Stage of Life
www.stageoflife.com
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 3:53:56 PM