Unsung Hero: Thanks, Mom

Clayla_32
You broke one of my favorite plates last night, Mom. It was the one with the checkerboard border with small pears. It reminded me of orchards. Why did you break it? I was late to chemistry today, and you know how Mr. Brinclhof is. Then the strap of my backpack snapped right in the middle of the hall, and my books scattered everywhere. No one stopped to help, and there are still footprints on my binders. On top of it all, you broke my favorite plate?

Dad yelled at me again, Mom, and you did nothing. He called me lazy and stupid, and threw my SAT textbook down the stairs. I forgot to do a practice test last night. He told me I was hopeless, and I couldn’t have dinner. You wouldn’t even look me in the eye. I yelled at you the morning after, because it is your fault I have to live with someone who can’t understand his own imperfections, and will spit them at me until they are my own. Why did you marry this man, Mom? I had to go downstairs that night to get the book myself. Talk about walk of shame. Thanks, Mom.

Seriously, Mom? I know you moved to the United States at thirty, but you’ve been here for ten years! Don’t you even know how to say one sentence without embarrassing yourself? I know being a foreigner isn’t easy, but ten years! How come you keep saying umbretha when it is pronounced umbrella? I have to memorize the periodic table alongside conjugations for irregular french verbs in one week, and you can’t even pronounce umbrella after ten years?

I can’t believe Dad’s at the hospital, Mom. I can’t believe you left me and Rory alone either, especially hearing Dad collapse at one in the morning onto the new hardwood floor you insisted on installing yourself to save a few extra bucks. I was scared. Dad can burn all my SAT books, but he’ll still be my dad. You left me to stare at the leaf shaped shadow on the ceiling for the next three hours until day broke the sky, and I wondered if Dad was dead. Rory made not one sound across the hall the entire night. I never thought I’d miss his snores. Dad has the hospital to care for him, Mom, but we don’t.
I’m sorry I landed in the hospital, Mom, but I didn’t think that jump would break my ankle. I’m sorry I got a C on my french test, Mom, but I didn’t have time to study. I’m sorry I yelled at Rory, Mom, but he wouldn’t stop bothering me. I’m sorry I broke your heart, Mom, but I can’t help but spit my imperfections right at you. But thank you, Mom, for staying with me at the hospital, calming me after I yelled at Rory, testing me for the next French quiz, and for mending my heart. Thank you, Mom, for being my unsung hero.