Unsung Hero: The Presence of My History Teacher

jenna.h13
Having recently completed semester one of grade ten, I look to next week, the start of a new semester. While next semester holds a chest of opportunity, this moment is quite bittersweet. Specifically, I am simultaneously saddened at the thought of saying goodbye to my teachers of semester one, but am truly grateful that I got the wonderful experience of being in their classes. Mr. Croswell is one of those teachers that simply motivates students to learn, motivates students to enjoy school, to enjoy life. The experience gained in his classroom goes far beyond learning a variety of concepts and important themes in history. Not only does he convey educational content in a very enjoyable manner, but he also creates a positive, nurturing learning environment in which to learn new skills, and form strong bonds with peers.

My history teacher motivated me to keep an open mind about the subject History, and by the end of the semester I loved it, largely due to his teaching style. He really did make learning exciting. In terms of the content, Mr. Croswell chooses to focus on historical concepts rather than solely names and dates. He likes to teach thematically, however he incorporates other methods of learning in order to accommodate for the preferences of all students. He even relates history to modern-day views. Clearly my history teacher is very versatile, and this is one thing, I think, that makes him a hero.

I think one of my favourite things about his teaching is that he himself gets excited about what he teaches, because such enthusiasm translates to me, and many other students. I think it of utmost importance that what a teacher teaches is of interest to themselves. In history class a main focus was source analysis, where we questioned the reliability of various sources of data, and explored bias. Mr. Croswell tries his best to teach concepts impartially, and he informed us when he had certain potential biases that may have influenced how he taught.

In my experience, there are teachers who make the extra effort to ensure the wellbeing of all students, and those who don’t. I believe it is safe to say that Mr. Croswell genuinely cares for each one of his students. This is demonstrated, for example, in the fact that during every in-class assessment, he walks to every student’s desk to ask if they are “okay”. Due to the constant encouraging atmosphere of the classroom, students feel comfortable confiding in Mr. Croswell, as he is understanding and responds with compassion.

Mr. Croswell encourages the leading of a balanced lifestyle, highlighting the need for athletics, arts, and community involvement. He also urges the formation of friendships, as he believes a strong support system is essential.

Teachers aren’t usually considered as “heroes”, due to their responsibilities in their paid positions. However Mr. Croswell is an exceptional individual who offers immense support, acting as a hero for many students who have the pleasure of being in his class.