Unsung Hero: There is No Academy Award For Mothers

Clementine14
If you looked up the definition of an unsung hero, you would find a picture of my mother staring back at you. She has sacrificed so much of her time and energy, from staying up half the night when her children are sick to cooking dinner every single night. She stands by the belief that you should never talk down to a child. I have always felt comfortable about asking her for advice, and it has gotten me through failure and success alike. She both continues working even when everything seems impossible and encourages others to do the same.
My mother also taught me the value of feminism, despite not being what many would consider a typical feminist. She choose to stay at home and raise children instead of continuing her education or pursuing a career. While some people would not agree with this choice, she not only showed me that it was perfectly valid, but also an incredible accomplishment. I have grown up being told that beauty comes from within, that I can choose my own path, and that anything is possible as long as you fight for it. Without her, I doubt that my sister and I would have the same confidence and acceptance of ourselves that we do today.
My mother sets the standard for who I want to be. She’s creative, loving, adaptable, determined, and wise. And yet, she remains unknown. There are no awards for mother of the year. Mothers are not given the parenting equivalent of the golden globe, or guaranteed unconditional admiration. Everything she did, she did without expecting an award or praise for her actions. She is a hero for doing the right thing because it is right, not because of how others will perceive her.
Thank you, mom. Thank you for every long night and early morning. Thank you for encouraging me to be brave and true even when it is hard. Thank you for being strong enough to live your life on your own terms despite what others think. Are you perfect? No, but no one is. Somehow, that makes your heroism even more special.