Unsung Hero: Desert Oasis

Tsundenierxx
Most say a desert is the metaphor of life itself, unbearable heat during the day & cold during the night or simply containing such hostile conditions and barely survived; others - a small percentage to be more precise - describe it as somewhat enjoyable, a thrilling journey. My opinion is in agreement with the former. Life is hard and almost unbearable, that I can say, but one person in particular had helped me get through it. In my opinion, he is fitting to be called a hero.

Working in the middle of a desert for hours, singing me to sleep whenever I would wake up from a terrifying nightmare, putting so much importance to the seemingly insignificant things I cherish and so much more. He sacrificed everything, even his life, just to see the smile I never showed.

He worked as an engineer in the country of Qatar, thousands of miles away from us. With every second he worked, he always thought of us. All he wanted was to see us smiling in happiness, even if it meant standing under the blazing sun in a desert away from us. Every single penny he earned from the sweat and tears he had shed, almost all of it was for us. Barely anything was left for him. Most of the time, according to the testimonies of his co-workers and friends, he mostly ate ketchup with rice having sent to us almost every single peso he had.

Sadly, he died. Instead of taking care of his self, he was busy worrying about us. He lived for us. He lived to hear our laughs, to see our smiles and to add seconds to our lives. He sacrificed everything for us to the point that barely anything was left for him.

A failure as a daughter was I. How could I have not seen everything he did for us? How could I have been stonehearted to the point where I never appreciated him? He meant everything to me. Why have I not realized it when he was still alive? Those were the questions running through my mind as tears continuously fell from my eyes.

I can say that my father was one of the greatest blessings God had given me. I couldn’t be any happier. I can only hope that wherever my beloved is, he can see the smile on my face. The smile he had caused, a fruit of his sacrifice.

He may have not caused a great change to society but he became the cause of a great change in my life I’ll remember for as long as I live and that is all that matters. He may not be considered a hero to humanity but for me, in comparison with almost every recognized hero, I can say that he is, in fact, the greatest.

Journeying the life I can describe as a dessert, I was given a father who acted as an oasis.