Unsung Hero: The Silent Hero

qqqqqqq
I wish to tell you a story. A story you don’t know. About people you don’t know -invisible to others and unknown to this world. And whom nobody cares about. Nobody cares about those kind of people - those quiet, hardworking, small people, who give all and take nothing. Those who sacrifice everything for happiness of another broken soul because they know hard it can be, and still through it all, they suffer in silence, in their own world who’s so dark and cold.

They never ask for help. They don’t need it to be better. Life never gave them much, but it sure did take away a lot. And, as if every time when life, once again, takes something from them, they strangely become even more humble, grateful and appreciative for that little of something...a little of nothing - that is left for them to have. Because they long ago lost happiness, their own existence has no meaning to them, unless they can put it in service to others. They long ago lost hope that it will be better and they don’t even want it better. Not anymore at least. They don’t want anything for themselves. It’s them who are there to make it good for others. It’s as if life made them the servants of humanity, and that’s who they are. They wake up, bow down to the world, and they’re ready to serve their duty.... and save the planet. On their back they carry this world and all good that there’s in it! Because they are those at the very bottom, rotting inside - one on another, the broken and empty foundation of meaninglessness –which took all good that it had and let it out, up, to you, to us. So we could have it better. And though they are so fragile and exhausted, with their wrinkly shaking hands, old bent back, and eyes filled with quiet sorrow and dimly disappointment, they are still holding on – and still holding us. Like real heroes. Painfully day by day, because they lived to learn the glory of sacrifice, for which they exist and will - until they let out their last breath of air.

They are the silent heroes. And they are here, there and everywhere. They don’t have a cape on their back, or impressive superpowers. Frankly, they are hard to tell apart. But if you ever start talking with one, you will recognize him. You will know it is the silent hero you’re talking to, the one who’s name world never heard of, but who’s seemingly so piddling life has a story greater than anything you've heard before. So take a look around you next time: a homeless man on the street who everybody ignores? An old lady in the park wistfully looking at the sky? A lonely kind on the playground that nobody cares for? Go ask them how they are, because you never know which sad dimly eyes could hide the silent hero behind them.