Unsung Hero: Pioneering the Way

drewmydock
In 1952, a boy was born of a Central Wesleyan College student and his spouse. Experiencing a 640 mile move at the age of nine months, he took the title ‘pastor’s kid’. He grew up being the church: applying coats of paint, transporting elderly folks, and attending every church service available. My grandfather yearned to follow in the footsteps of his father and believe in the same God his father taught of. Relationship building, employment and determination were imbued in him at a young age to ensure lasting continuity. At age thirteen, my grandfather received his own paper route, consisting of one hundred customers and a weekly paid account. Three years later he began subcontracting with a friend in their own business. They endured countless hours of sticky Florida sweat and eventually parted ways, only to have my grandfather move on in his career alone. As a senior in high school, he was employed by a car dealership to assist in the parts departments and manage disgruntled customers.
Six months after high school graduation, he married a fine Kentucky girl who birthed a son a year later and a daughter two years after that. He moved on to graduate college with a BA degree in education: teaching in two private schools for nine years while traveling and representing school curriculum. In 1985, he advanced to work six years as support staff to the administration at Hobe Sound Bible College. A few years later, he acquired a contractor’s license which is active today. The progression of this career prepared him to buy his own property management business with his wife and a few employees. After fourteen years, my grandparents continue to foster life-long relationships and diligent performance.
Amongst the years of growth, this leader has pioneered bible studies, servant hood and financial support for his church and family. He and his wife continue to serve on boards and teach classes to ensure others following in their footsteps the greatest results in every area of their lives. My grandfather states, “As we have endeavored to bless them we in turn have received many blessings.” He models servant leadership: one of the greatest fulfillments one can obtain. The ability to be used by God in giving your full self produces multitudes of fruit for the leader and the follower. Consistent life experiences built on a good foundation portray the very DNA of ones intentions. For such a hero to admit there is always room to grow is worth the recognition of infinite successes. This unsung hero deserves, at minimum, the retelling and passing on of his selfless victories.