STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: The Super Chef

LiuhiiS
Unsung hero is a person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution and someone whose bravery is unknown or unacknowledged.
When I was young, around fourteens years ago I was shocked about the act of terrorism at the Twins towers in New York. Watching TV I heard about Benjamin Clark.
He was an ordinary man with a simple life like any other people. He was neither a cop nor a fireman, and he was just a chef that saved hundreds of lives in the south tower.
On Tuesday September 11 2001, Benjamin Clark was preparing meals for the people at the fiduciary trust company like every day, when suddenly a plane hit the building and the evacuation started. Benjamin made sure everyone in his department at the 96th floor in the south tower was safely exiting the building while he was trying to leave the building after everyone else, he paused at the 78th floor to assist an old woman in a wheelchair. This is the last time that he was seen. He died helping others escape. A family man at the age of 39, the super chef had his life stolen from him because an act of terrorism. As his mother, Elise Clark said, he was a Marine so you know that he wasn’t going to leave anybody behind. He could have escaped, everyone else did, but he made sure everyone was exiting the building.
He is a hero because he is courageous and brave putting in danger his own life to save others people’s lives. He is an unsung hero because he is a man who transformed his compassion into heroic action. In doing so, he put his best self forward in service to humanity.
Benjamin Clark was not only a chef, he was an awesome husband and first of all father of five children. He is also my example of life because what he did made me realize that you don’t have to be a cop, a fireman or superman to save people’s lives, you just need to have a heart full of love for the others. In my own life, I think that I don’t have what it takes to be like Benjamin, not because I don’t want it but because I don’t have his altruism. If I were in a similar situation, I think I would have escaped and gone home to my family. But for Benjamin, everyone was his family, and he saw a great number of people in need.
Today, we need a person like Benjamin who is even willing to make this kind of commitment and hold ourselves accountable for fulfilling it for others, for organizations, and issue we all care about. I hope that as I mature in life, I will develop the sense of responsibility, care and bravery for others as my unsung hero.
Benjamin Clark was a marine, a chef but above all, a HERO.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy