Unsung Hero: Mom

PaulCast3
Paul Castellano
Unsung Hero: Taken for Granted
As soon as this essay was assigned, I knew that there was only one choice for the unsung hero in my life. The unsung hero in my life is the person whom has taught me nearly everything I know, from how to always treat others with respect, to how to be loving and caring to all, regardless of race, color, or creed. This hero is seldom noticed by anybody short of the all-seeing, all-knowing God Almighty Himself. This is a hero that even I have not expressed enough gratitude for, and shame on me for that. The unsung hero in my life is so great that she should only exist in storybooks, but for some reason far beyond my understanding, God has blessed me with her in my life; she is my mother.

While there are many ideas of what makes an unsung hero, I believe that in most cases, the most unsung of heroes are the ones that we love most. The ones that we love most are often those that we think don't need to hear our gratitude, or worse, we simply forget to say anything, taking them for granted. For the life of me, I can't explain how we, as a human race, have grown so intelligent, so strong, and so rich, but have also managed to forget those that got us where we are today. We have gotten so caught up in reaping the reward that their time and effort created, that we've forgotten and ignored something as beautiful as the affection that a mother has for her child. I am so appreciative to have such a person in my life, and I'm sure that if we all think about it, such an expression for our mothers is long overdue.
My mother, and mothers in general, are some of the truest unsung heroes, because while many other unsung heroes are simply unnoticed, these are noticed and overlooked. Again, shame on me, and shame on us as humanity to forget the one that loved us at first sight. My mother gives to charities, feeds the poor and homeless in need, and helps anybody that asks for a helping hand, seeking nothing in return. What makes my mother a true unsung hero is that while everybody sees what she does, her attitude has become expected. Appreciation is rarely shown by onlookers, and while this would put off many, it does not put off my mother. A true hero does what is right not for publicity and recognition, but simply because it is right. Her attitude has taught me never to be held down by the shackles of recognition, but to do right because it is right, and I have put that trait to use, refusing to be held down by lack of recognition. To my mother, the ultimate unsung hero, I express my undying love and gratitude: an expression long overdue.