Unsung Hero: Twenty-One Plus

duanereiff15
The Reverend nervously shaved in the rest room as he knew the enemy Agent had spotted him. Both knew the other had made each other out, yet they refused to make the first move. Finally, five drunken men walked in, breaking the tension. The enemy Agent recognized the opportunity to escape and encouraged them to give the preacher a drink. In between the Reverend and his target was a mob of drunken men, and he needed a miracle to escape unharmed.
Daniel P. Denton was a God-fearing man who was willing to serve his country in any way. During World War II, he felt called to serve in the army, so he went to the recruiting office wanting to join. He was denied. He had felt God call him to serve his country, yet only held a paper with the word “REJECTED.” Reverend Daniel Denton was soon to find out that he had a more vital role in protecting his country than the army could offer. A man known as Thirty-Five soon contacted Dan. Thirty-Five revealed that he was asking him to be a Special Civilian agent for the United States. Dan accepted and was then known as Twenty-One Plus. However, Dan would work without pay from the government, and no one could know what he did or whom he worked for, not even his own wife and children.
His superiors quickly recognized Dan. As a reverend, Dan was able to make friendships that helped expose more enemy agents than any other. At one point, he took down three of the enemy’s top agents in only two missions. Throughout his career as a secret agent, he helped keep the blueprints of the atomic bomb hidden from the enemy and compiled evidence to put away many enemy agents. However, he stayed humble and never took the credit for any of his work. He gave all of the credit to God and constantly thanked Him for saving his life on multiple occasions. On top of his spy work, he remained a husband, a father, and a preacher. He constantly showed love and devotion to his wife and children. His goal was to show God’s love to everyone, including his enemies.
After all, he received no recognition from the government for his part of serving his country. Later in life, he would serve veterans, and they would ridicule him for being a pastor instead of going off to war with them. Dan would humbly acknowledge the jeer and move on. His character is what makes him an unsung hero. He did not need praise from individuals to know his self worth. His faith was in God, not man, and he was able to sustain his valor as a result of that confidence. While he deserved all the recognition and fame, Dan did not ask for any. Unsung heroes do not seek fame, but rather they live to serve others at any cost.