Unsung Hero: My generous grandfather

heleneraich
Helene Raich
College Reading and Writing
Mrs. Flesch
9 January 2015

“ My Unsung Hero: My generous grandfather”
After spending some time thinking about what qualities are required for a person to be considered an unsung hero, I realized that there are really not that many people today that fit that criteria. In modern society being recognized is placed at such high value that people forget their integrity. The man that I consider to be my unsung hero is named Nick Raich, otherwise known as “grampy”. Although he passed away last year, his legacy still stands strong today not only through his physical accomplishments but also in my heart.
Grampy was a very supportive man; he displayed this characteristic through attending every sports event and school play that his seven children participated in. In 1983 tragedy struck when his youngest son Johnny died in a boating accident in the Bahamas. This was a devastating blow that most parents rarely recover from. Instead of just mourning and being depressed he did something absolutely amazing. Johnny was a state champion wrestler and in tribute to him and to the archdiocese of Palm Beach County he donated a 5000 square foot wrestling center called the John Raich Athletic Center for all the kids in Palm Beach County to utilize. Every holiday in his absence is devastating because the thought of such a great man, who brought so many smiles and comfort to everyone is actually gone. It was Christmas day and I remember walking in the door of his house and seeing an elderly man named Bill sitting on the couch. Of course as a curious, unfiltered child I ran my little feet up to my grandfather and asked who he was and why he was here. My grandfather explained to me how Bill’s family had died in a car accident and he had nowhere to go for the holidays, so he was going to join us. I didn’t really understand the situation until I watched Grampy rush back into his bedroom where I followed and saw him quickly wrapping a gift, which he then placed under the Christmas tree. After finishing our meal it was time to open presents. One by one each gift was passed out until the last gift was sitting there. I reached down hoping it was mine, only to see Bill’s name written across the label. As I read his name aloud I watched his face light up and instantly felt overjoyed by his reaction. Grampy not only gave Bill a place to enjoy Christmas, but made him feel, as he was apart of our family. At that moment I realized what a generous man my grandfather was, and knew in my heart that he was my unsung hero.