STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Unsung Hero: My father's Keeper

RachelYoung

Since the passing of my mother four years ago, my dad has been exceptionally apprehensive about dating. I mean, I practically had to hold him down and force him to call this woman that he had run into after not seeing her for a couple of years. When he finally built up the courage to ask her out, they went to dinner and ever since my life has been filled with warmth, comfort, and irrevocable love.
As if the passing of my mom wasn’t enough, I just could not stand to think about my dad being so lonely. Yes, he had my sisters and me, but what was to happen when we all moved out and went to college? I would think to myself about how there’s no way I could leave him to reminisce about my mom all alone in that big house. No genuine person deserves to be alone. I am forever grateful for Janice, for she has welcomed my family into her heart and has made it a priority to ensure happiness among us. I figured that my dad still being hopelessly in love with my mom would make her jealous or bother her, but it doesn’t. As he cries and longs for her return, Janice does not become irked, but instead floods him with just her presence alone. Not only will she sit for hours and console my dad, but myself as well. The other night I wasn’t feeling well at 3:35 a.m., and she literally came over to my house just to lie down with me. I pleaded with her for several minutes explaining how it wasn’t necessary and that I would be fine, but regardless she came over. When I thanked her the next morning she said to me, “sometimes people just need a little tender love and care.”
My dad is a very busy man, and although my sisters and I are his number one priority, he also has a massive business to manage and tend to. Now don’t get me wrong: I am endlessly thankful that I am endlessly thankful that I have a father who tries so hard, but I can only eat steak and potatoes so many times a week! Janice has four kids of her own and a granddaughter and somehow still manages to cook us all dinner every night. She is by no means my mom, and her kids are by no means my siblings, but it really does feel like we are a family, and for making that happen, she is my hero.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy