Unsung Hero: My father's Keeper

RachelYoung

Since the passing of my mother four years ago, my dad has been exceptionally apprehensive about dating. I mean, I practically had to hold him down and force him to call this woman that he had run into after not seeing her for a couple of years. When he finally built up the courage to ask her out, they went to dinner and ever since my life has been filled with warmth, comfort, and irrevocable love.
As if the passing of my mom wasn’t enough, I just could not stand to think about my dad being so lonely. Yes, he had my sisters and me, but what was to happen when we all moved out and went to college? I would think to myself about how there’s no way I could leave him to reminisce about my mom all alone in that big house. No genuine person deserves to be alone. I am forever grateful for Janice, for she has welcomed my family into her heart and has made it a priority to ensure happiness among us. I figured that my dad still being hopelessly in love with my mom would make her jealous or bother her, but it doesn’t. As he cries and longs for her return, Janice does not become irked, but instead floods him with just her presence alone. Not only will she sit for hours and console my dad, but myself as well. The other night I wasn’t feeling well at 3:35 a.m., and she literally came over to my house just to lie down with me. I pleaded with her for several minutes explaining how it wasn’t necessary and that I would be fine, but regardless she came over. When I thanked her the next morning she said to me, “sometimes people just need a little tender love and care.”
My dad is a very busy man, and although my sisters and I are his number one priority, he also has a massive business to manage and tend to. Now don’t get me wrong: I am endlessly thankful that I am endlessly thankful that I have a father who tries so hard, but I can only eat steak and potatoes so many times a week! Janice has four kids of her own and a granddaughter and somehow still manages to cook us all dinner every night. She is by no means my mom, and her kids are by no means my siblings, but it really does feel like we are a family, and for making that happen, she is my hero.