Unsung Hero: Working through What Breaks Others

SussieDanahy
“I feel like something out of the bottom of a shoe,” I read as my mom’s phone lit up in my lap. My mom laughed as I handed the phone to her. The text had come from Linda Weiksnar, a longtime friend of my family recently diagnosed with breast cancer and currently going through her first round of chemotherapy. At this year’s Christmas Eve dinner, she debuted her newly shaved head – along with pictures documenting the step-by-step process, which included an intermediate mohawk, of shaving her long, curly, blonde locks. With a big smile, she said, “It was all coming off anyway, might as well try out some new looks while I’m at it.”
While Ms. Weiksnar is one of many strong women pushing through the struggles of breast cancer treatment, other aspects of her situation stand out from others, distinguishing her as a subtle hero. She is a full-time, successful family law attorney as well as a single mother with two teenaged children. Having always been the less overly controlling unit between herself and her ex-husband, Ms. Weiksnar continues to serve as the stable, understanding parental figure for her two children while dealing with her own present hardships. She puts her own struggle to the side without hesitation in order to focus and support her kids. Moreover, she has continued to go into work every day that she feels well enough to function, as the chemotherapy has started to take its toll on her body. Ms. Weiksnar maintains her position as a prominent lawyer in Martin County, working as hard as ever to do her job well and obtain the best results for her clients. She does not spend her time sulking or complaining absorbed with self-pity, rather she commits her time to others.
Despite having cancer and undergoing harsh treatments, Ms. Weiksnar carries on as the life of the party with an unmistakably positive, yet realistic attitude concerning her situation. The Christmas Eve dinner put an unsung hero on display. A definition of the term unsung hero, stating that it is a person whose bravery is unacknowledged, describes Ms. Weiksnar perfectly. She is a hero. She is enduring an extreme challenge in her life but continues to work as a successful lawyer, a supportive mother, and an uplifting friend. Her sense of humor never fails to shine through. At dinner, she told funny stories and laughed the whole time with her Santa hat on her bald head. The single working mom was a hero to her children, her clients, and her friends before she had breast cancer; now, she is merely magnifying her admirable nature by remaining herself while powering through cancer.