Unsung Hero: The Face of Justice

bartzjosh
It is Saturday night and the scene outside the hotel is quite normal to those around. Men arrive, walk in, and exit with a woman on their arm. Cars, coming and going, used as a transportation system for the women. This notorious system goes on for countless hours all weekend long. In their eyes it is a business, a way to make money, a source of income in order to eat and have a place to sleep. Now, instead of going to see a movie, or going to the mall to shop, Elizabeth Gilroy is out on the streets in Costa Rica building relationships with the girls that have been taken captive to this unlawful system, making friends with the girls apart of human trafficking.
Although human trafficking is seen to many people as an awful system, it is one of the most prevalent money making markets in the world. Worldwide, human trafficking accumulates an average of 32 billion dollars (The Covering House). This shows that sex trafficking is a major problem in our society today. Not only is its market value disturbing, but the average age of a girl’s entry into prostitution is 12 to 14 years old. Human trafficking is all over the globe, but in the heart of Costa Rica lays the largest and one of the most famous brothels in all of Central America, Hotel Del Ray. Inside there is a surplus amount of women just waiting to be picked and every weekend thousands of men come in and out of the doors with a different girl each time. Prostitution is rapidly growing in popularity each and every day.
There is no doubt that there will never be an end to human trafficking, but what we can do is help as much as possible. This is the goal and vision Elizabeth Gilroy has in her street ministry called Face of Justice. Three to four times a week, Elizabeth will go down to Hotel Del Ray and walk around and just try to engage in conversation with the girls. She doesn’t try to convert them to Christianity right away, but rather realizes that all these girls need is someone to talk to, someone who respects them, and treats them as a human being. As she continues to go on a regular basis, she begins to grow friendships with some of the girls. A group from my church and I had the opportunity to go and witness this street ministry she does. It was shocking to see how many girls knew her and began talking with her like they were best friends. Not only does Elizabeth show a great amount of faith, but she also shows bravery by risking her own life to talk with the victimized girls. In the middle of all the chaos is one lady talking into the eyes of these girls and giving them hope for what’s ahead. She is the face of justice amongst a world of unjust people.