Unsung Hero: The Gracious Grandfather

jetalv
For as long as I can remember, my grandfather has been instilling valuable life lessons in me. His most important lesson to me has been “if you ever see someone in need of help, you go out of your way to help them.” My grandfather placed great emphasis on helping others, and it is apparent in his life experiences. I believe that the underlying quality behind all heroes is selflessness. He has the ambition to help others even if he is putting himself at risk or in harm’s way. This is why I admire my grandfather and consider him to be an unsung hero in my life. His life is a great example of how hard work and generosity can enrich not only my life, but also the lives of others. It is the contributions that my grandfather has made to my life that has made me honor and aspire to be him, a perfect role model and personal hero.

My grandfather was adopted from an orphanage in Texas and later raised by his new family in a small town in New Mexico. Upon his completion of high school, my grandfather enlisted into the US Navy. He was put on a destroyer that coasted up and down the coast of Japan in search of enemy boats. He was later stationed on land in the Philippines where he worked on a base repairing radio equipment. The Philippines is the place where he met my grandmother. They married and flew back to the states with their baby (my mother).

Out of the navy, and back in the United States with his wife and baby, my grandfather made the decision to go back to college to acquire a degree in electrical engineering. Attending college and supporting a family, while working full time was no easy feat. He worked very hard to make ends meet; a full-time job during the day, and college and studies in the evening. His dedication and hard work is something that I respect and look up to.

My grandfather was more than just a perfect family man; he was a humanitarian that helped countless families move from the Philippines to the United States. All by himself, he gave them a chance at a better life and freed them from poverty. He provided these families with housing, education, and even set them up with jobs. Having witnessed the struggles that people live with in a third world country and understanding the challenges of supporting a family, empowered him to create a better life for himself and others. His work ethic, dedication, and true commitment to helping others makes my grandfather my unsung hero.